We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only a day in Adelaide

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Folsom, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Only a day in Adelaide

Good morning,

We will be in Adelaide for only 1 day (the previous day will be a tour out to the Barossa Valley and Handorf). We have arranged for a private car for 4 hours--tour destination at our discretion. That gives us about 1/2 day before we board the Indian Pacific to Perth.

What would you all suggest for us to see/do on our 4-hour drive and then on our on in Adelaide. Are there any special places you would recommend. I've looked at guidebooks, but can't decide on the MUST SEE places.

I need recommendations. We'll be in Adelaide on Sep 19/20. Thanks for your help.

SueG

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

I would take a tour to McLaren Vale and Willunga and then to Port Willinga for lunch at the Star of Greece Cafe. Or altrenatively a bit further south to Port eliot and lunch at the Flying Fish cafe at Port Elliot.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

You could maybe go down to Port Adelaide, that is a nice place for lunch/coffee as it is being done up- there is also a market there. Other places are Glenelg where our beaches are, lots of cafes etc there. Or visit Handhorf (haven't been there myself but people seem to like it), Birdwood- which has a car museum and a Giant Rocking Horse just before, beautiful drive and gives you an idea what it is like around Adelaide's fringes. If you can fit in Monarto Zoo which is out of Adelaide on the Freeway. Or as the other poster suggested down to Mclaren Vale, you might even be able to make Victor Harbour which you could probably spend an hour or so- it has a little island that you can walk over too etc.

When your back in Adelaide- I would probably look around Rundle Mall- if you need somewhere for tea then Gougar St or Melbourne St has a great variety and you will love it.

If you have some of the MUST SEE places tell me those and I will tell you if its worth it, as when I was in the US myself and read an article about what to do in Australia they had some very strange ideas it made me laugh.

Hope this helps

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Thank you both for your suggestions.

McLaren Vale and Willunga and then to Port Willinga for lunch at the Star of Greece Cafe sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that!

Glenelg also looks interesting and Birdwood with its car museum might do also (my husband looooooves cars). The drive around Adelaide's fringes might be just the thing.

<<If you have some of the MUST SEE places tell me those and I will tell you if its worth it. as when I was in the US myself and read an article about what to do in Australia they had some very strange ideas it made me laugh.>>

What a great idea! Thanks.

Every suggestion was so helpful. Again, thank you both.

SueG

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Hi Sue,

Ive been to most of the spots mentioned here...Star of Greece is a yes yes yes...but, please, my advice...skip Handorf. Dissapointing. I wont say any more for fear of reprisal but it's not worth the effort IMO. There are much nicer places to visit if one only has a day in Adelaide. Just my humble 'outsiders' opinion ;-)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

No reprisal from me Adelaide74, never been there and have lived in Adelaide for a long time :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,795 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Non local view...

mclaren vale and the coastline in that region...

alternative.........

mclaren vale and the coastline in that region

Australia
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Hi Guruswife, good to see you around especially in the Adelaide Forum. You made me laugh as not bias at all about Mclaren Vale :-)

It is beautiful down that way, but Adelaide looks pretty everywhere at the moment especially since we are in bloom.

Hope you have enough info Sue and enjoy your day in Adelaide.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Adelaide - do I detect a touch of paranoia here???

Who is going to initiate a reprisal - not me that's for sure !! I tell anyone who asks not to go to Hahndorf. In my opinion its just a touristy non place and in fact doesnt in any way reflect the Silesian heritage which my ancestors brought to this place.

However a visit to Hans Heysen's home and studio just outside of Hahndorf is very well worthwhile especially of you are interested in Australian art.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

I would head down south to Mclaren Vale or to Victor Harbour and Granite Island.....this region is has lovely scenery and is well worth your effort to explore.

Just noticed you have only 4 hrs, so I would just go Mclaren and explore this region.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Only a day in Adelaide

Hi Sue!

I second the McLaren Vale Region! I'm from down that way and we have the most glorious scenic drives ..and the Star Of Greece (alot of famous people frequent this resturant) is def. a must! Its quirky, not your usual 5 star little restaurant but great in every way!

You are visiting at a beautiful time of year too. Spring..wild flowers, almond blossoms, green fields and great weather!

I'll see if I can chase up some info on the names of the "Scenic Routes" to take, or else I'm sure your driver will know them all!

Enjoy your stay with us!

- Samantha :-)