We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving from ACT to Adelaide

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Moving from ACT to Adelaide

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is really a topic for a TA forum, however I'm a bit lost as to where to find personal first hand information in vast amounts. I apologise if I waste anyones time.

My partner and I (24 and 26) are moving from ACT to Adelaide at the beginning of July and would like to know if there will be a big change in pace and cost of living. Also, we would be looking to buy in Adelaide so could anyone advise of some suburbs that would be good to buy/live in? What sort of activities are available in Adelaide?

Once again, I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to pose this question, but any advice/comments/opinions provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kristy

Australia
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

The pace in Adelaide is as slow or as fast as you want it to be.

Cant comment on the difference in cost of living from ACT.

To live, i would say within a 10Klm radius of the city. Some areas cheaper than others. For me inner south eastern suburbs. Along the beaches would also be nice,but more expensive.

As for activities, probably everything ACT has except snow stuff. But we have great beaches and the Murray River.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

Hi, I don't know alot about living expenses in ACT but I do know from a friend of mine that the cost of house rental is huge in the ACT compared to here in Adelaide so if that's anything to go by then your living expenses could well drop when you move here. If you tell us what sort of house you live in currently and how much its worth maybe we can compare with similar houses here. You are welcome to send me a personal message via this site if you would prefer to do it that way. We've just recently sold a couple of houses/land in the southern suburbs of Adelaide and bought a house in the inner south eastern suburbs so I can probably help you a bit with that. Adelaide has a lot of festivals (music/theatre etc) if that interests you. We have a couple of world famous wine regions and there are usually differernt events happening in the Barossa and Mclaren Vale to do with wine (last weekend was the "sea and Vines festival at Mclaren vale). Of course we have wonderful beaches which are great for surfing and swimming. I've been to Canberra once and really loved it and felt that it was fairly similar in pace to Adelaide, however as a Mum of 3 small children I don't get out very much other than the occaisional movie or dinner so I'm probably not the best to advise on pace!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

ps, thought your name looked familiar, I'm usually on the Phuket forum too! Maybe we'll get to meet at the next Adelaide TA dinner (we went to the first one but we can't go to the one tomorrow so hoping we can get the next one, I think Reet said October maybe)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

Hey there,

As far as a comparison of Adelaide/ACT, I have a mate who is over there for Uni, and he comments about the extremely high prices for rent and food compared to Adelaide. Where are you looking at living - i.e. beach, hills, as close to city as possible? From my own experience (not that it's much to go by as I'm only 21) but anything within 20 mins of the city is fairly pricey, especially inner southern and eastern suburbs. If you give us more of an idea what you are looking for then I'm sure we can help you out.

Scott

Darwin, Northern...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

Hi Kristy

Having lived in Adelaide and Canberra, I can say I enjoyed both, but I prefer Adelaide , but I am biased having spent a fair amount of my life there.

Adelaide has a lot more to offer in the way of things to do. It is often called a big country town, and I found Canberra a smaller country town.

You will have pleasant beaches within easy reach and a much warmer climate in general. No bitter winds off the Brindabellas! (Also no snow in easy reach!) There are all manner of sporting activities around, though rugby is a bit low on the list.

More entertainment is available in Adelaide, though Sydney was always an option for Canberra residents, and plenty of acts bypass Adelaide in preference for eastern states. But there are heaps more pubs and nightlife than you would find in Canberra.

Cost of housing in Canberra always struck me as very high, you should find better options in Adelaide, though the downside is the massively increased amount of traffic. I used to laugh at what Canberra radio would claim was a traffic jam! Having said that Adelaide is pretty easy to get around for its size. Areas close to the city will always be better for convenience but more expensive.

Hope that this helps a bit.

Dusty

6. Re: Moving from ACT to Adelaide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 02, 2009