We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

I'm trying to plan our upcoming trip to Australia and am having trouble with a few bits of it. We (me, husband and 17 year old daughter) will be traveling over the 2014/2015 Christmas/New Years holidays. We have reservations on Kangaroo Island on Dec 26, 27 and 28. We fly home to Chicago from Melbourne the morning of January 2 and would like to get to Melbourne via the GOR. It sounds like we should spend at least 2 days on the GOR. It looks like a long haul to go from Kangaroo Island to Portland or thereabouts in 1 day, so I am thinking that Robe might be a good place to stay the night of the 29th. We haven't booked a flight or car yet, so either flying or taking the ferry from KI is possible for us, depending on which (if either) works out better time-wise. I was thinking it would be fun (especially for our daughter) to spend New Year's Eve in Melbourne and to have a day to at least see something of the city on Jan 1; to do that, we would stay maybe in Port Campbell or Warrnambool on the 30th and drive into Melbourne on the 31st. But I don't want us to be on a frantic pace to get to Melbourne in time for New Year's, and I know it's going to be a busy time of year on the road, so am just not sure if the timing is sensible. If we spend New Year's Eve in a town on the Melbourne end of the GOR, is there one that might be better for parents and an older teen? Or should we keep to the idea of Melbourne? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

if you are panning to stay anywhere from Robe East on the GOR on 29th and 30th Dec you really need to book your accom now. Many places also will not take a one night booking at that time of year.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

Thanks - I am finding that out as I look into it! I just got reservations for the 29th in Robe, after a good bit of searching around. I haven't tried for the 30th yet, but am about to get started.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
1,339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

I suggest you consider spending New Year's Eve at Crown in Melbourne

4. Re: Kangaroo Island/GOR/Melbourne (with teen)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about South Australia