We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Hi, we are a couple in our 60s, looking forward to our road trip from Melbourne to the Red Centre and back in October. We will be in our own 4 wheel drive & will be camping along the way & expect to be away 4 - 5 weeks. We hope to have 2 - 3 days at the Port Germein camping ground then on to visit Woomera, stopping overnight at the Glendamo Roadhouse. From there, 3 or 4 nights camping at Coober Pedy, (hope to go on the Mail Run tour). We also want to visit & take photos of the Painted Desert, before heading up to Alice Springs. My questions are, which camping ground in Coober Pedy would be most suitable for us in a tent? Will it cool down enough at night to get a decent sleep? Or should we spend up and stay at an underground b&b? We're not sure where best to camp for a night in order to visit the Painted Desert - Cadney Park or Arckaringa Station? From there, overnight at Kulgera or Erldunda Roadhouse ? ... before heading to Alice Springs. Any thoughts on our itinerary would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Sounds like a great trip. IME its never been too hot to sleep in a tent in the desert. I would be more worried about being cold in October.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Thanks nozzie ... pleased to hear that:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Stay at the Stuart Ranges Caravan Park on the outskirts of Coober Pedy. It has a fantastic camp kitchen and a reasonable shower block. The Big 4 in town is the worst Big 4 I have ever stayed in! It is usually cold at night. Great for sleeping.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

thanks Aliflem ... will check out this campsite again ...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Have you chosen Pt Germein for a reason? Mambray Ck campground which is part of Mt Remarkable NP is just a bit further up the road. It has facilities and is in a nice bush setting with some great walks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Thanks Lee M - Port Germein was a recommendation from friends and we thought it might be rather pleasant to stop at the beach for a few days. Port Augusta Big 4 was another suggestion. Will look up Mambray Ck camping ground as another option.

Any thoughts on stopping at the Painted Desert - Cadney Park or Arckaringa Station?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

there's not a lot at Port Germein and the reason that its jetty is one of the longest around is that it's extremely tidal and quite shallow, you might want to check that it's the type of "beach" you have in mind ?

Have you looked at Evelyn Downs? it's right in Breakaway country and truly lovely http://evelyndowns.meapp.co/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

Hi there TW_Yachtgal, We realise that Port Germein's beach & camping ground wont be a "beach resprt type place" but will be a place where we can chill out and just enjoy the smell of sea air rather than city air! I've looked at the link you sent to Evelyn Downs and it is probably a great place to stay and maybe we will go there on our way back to Melbourne. I couldn't get much information from their website which appears to be still being developed, so I guess we'll be playing it safe. I really love all the suggestions that are put to me ... calls for more reseach, etc + lots mroe learning about our wonderful country :) Thanks

Kay

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

I agree about Mt Remarkable, have just come home from there. Perfect Lovely hot showers

10. Re: Coober Pedy, Painted Desert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 23, 2015