We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Which Long Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

I am planning to travel to Austrailia (final destination) in November 2012. I live in toronto, Ontario. I was given a quote of over &4500. for 3 stopovers: California, Figi, New Zealand and then Austrailia. That price sounds way to hi. Does anyone know how to do this for less? Can I fly from figi to Australia and then book a flight to new zealand from australia return? Would that be cheaper? It was Quantas that quoted that price. Does anyone know of another good airline to australia? Some info would be very appreciated. Thank-you,

Karen Woodman

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,432 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

If you use a travel site, select multiple stops and then enter the details of each airport / date / city, you'll be able to do a comparison shop that way. For example, Expedia or Webjet etc.

Without knowing which specific dates / days it's hard to advise but I suspect you'll have a multitude of airline carriers with all those flights and destinations ... regardless, with the stopovers you have noted, it won't be a cheap flight as essentially you will be buying single tickets instead of a straight return flight.

And yes you can buy a flight from Fiji to Australia and Australia to NZ rtn, but that doesn't make sense to me unless there is a specific reason for you to do this.

I think it may be cheaper to fly from Fiji to say Auckland NZ and then on to Australia and get your return flight from here, and apart from being cheaper, a lot of time saved.

Airlines that fly directly from Fiji to say Auckland NZ include Air New Zealand, Air Pacific and Qantas.

It's about 3 hours flight from Fiji to Auckland and around the same from Auckland to Sydney.

I think you should look at the shortest and most logical route with flights otherwise you'll spend more time in airports than you will on the ground enjoying yourself.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,220 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Qantas fares are nearly always the most expensive to/from Oz.

Check out matrix.itasoftware.com/view/flights… for prices and then book directly with that airline.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
1,079 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Look at Air New Zeaalnd. Why Fiji? Look at leaving LAX on Sunday to cook islands, i am told much less spoiloed than Fiji, and landing direct to cook islands. From there fly direct to Sydney on Friday or most other days to NZ. Pickup either NZ or Aus on your way back. I have yet to do this and the days of direct may have changed but it is on my list and may be what you want.

There some very cheap air fares return sydney to NZ as well as another options.

I have not found any big USA or Cdn airlines that would fit your needs. Qantas does stop in Hawaii fdairly cheaply. Tell us what you find because i am very interested.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
110 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Also check Cathy Pacific. They have some good fares to OZ which stop in SF and Hong Kong.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Do check the airline websites for multiple stops.

Transiting through either LA or Honolulu will give you the most options.

Samoa, Tahiti, Fiji, Cook Islands, New Zealand. There are direct flights to all of these ports and onwards to either Australia direct or New Zealand direct. Try to avoid doubling back.

All carriers will probably want to charge sectional fares and these will be higher than a through direct fare. I would not be afraid to use different carriers for different sectors. There will also be additional charges for airport fees etc.

I always break my transpacific flights to avoid the 13 hour sectors. It makes the journey more enjoyable and the extra cost is worth it.

Some of the carriers are Qantas/Jetstar, Air New Zealand, Virgin Polynesian, Air Pacific. Several American carriers also fly into American Samoa.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia

Hi,

Also look at www.skyscanner.net for the cheapest fares. Also research Air NZ for cheaper flights to NZ & Fiji.

I also agree with Less - re LA to HON as you do have different routes available on the leg to Australia. We have done this numerous times & it makes a perfect stopover.

Reply to: Stopovers on-route to Austrailia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Long Island
More Long Island Topics