We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

concerned about resorts reviews

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
concerned about resorts reviews

Have booked at resort for later in the year,am concerned about these reviews coming in mentioning the bed bugs.Anyone have any suggestions what i should do. i really want to go there,should i voice my concern now to the property or wait and check it out myself.Also what precautions can i take!!!

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

I wouldnt go there

Hook Island resort is very run down,

Try Hamilton, Daydream, Long or Lindeman instead.

cheers Skip.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Hey cruiser I think we've talked before and as I said then it is basic and when I say basic that's what I mean. It's a beautiful island, but the best parts won't be accessible to you as they are on the other side and you won't get there through the dense bush. You can voice your opinion to the resort but it won't do you any good and they'll deny everything you've heard. To be honest cruising will show you a lot more of the beautiful islands as once on Hook you're stuck there, unlike the other resort islands they do not have a frequent transfer service and daytrips from there are non existant. I like it, but I'm happy to unroll my swag and sleep anywhere, that's me, not everyone else, some people say I'm crackers maybe I am, who am I to argue. cheers airlian

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Thanks guys for advice,going to Daydream now,will still checkout Hook on a daytrip from Airlie so i will know if i made the right choice. i will post a review of Daydream of course.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Hey cruiser, probably the right decision. Did you talk to Hook or make the decision by yourself. There is no comparison between Daydream and Hook they are totally different in standards. If you want a snorkel there is some nice coral and plenty of fish off Sunlovers Beach on the western side of the island and you can snorkel right up the NW edge of the island. Right up the north end there is some fine coral and again lots of fish right out the front of the Grand Ocean Suite where the owner Vaughn Bullivant can be found if he is on the island. If you get to meet him, have a chat, he's a funny bugger and you can see he really has a passion for his island and our area as a whole. cheers airlian

London, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Oh damn! Have just booked 2 nights on Hook Island for August. Although maybe we'll enjoy it as we are not really 5* resort kind of people, more ageing backpackers! Will post a review when we get back. Berni.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Sorry, but I would prefer Hook Island any-day to Daydream Island.

Hook has fabulous spots to explore, plus you have the added advantage of spectacular snorkeling/

Sometimes, its not what the accommodation is about but the natural environment.

If I had to stay on Daydream I would be totally bored. There are so many wonderful islands not known by tourists which are gorgeous. If you do have to stay Daydream, I think South Molle offers more, its slightly doen on accommodation standard but it does offer better scenery.

If you want action, then Hamilton Island or Airlie Beach are better places yo be located.

7. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, March 01, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

Skipper you and Airlian seem the same, just plain RUDE !

For you information, we were in W/Islands in Oct...our yacht is still in Mool because of the bad weather and cyclones which ripped our sails/yacht to bits..it's still getting repaired.

We DO NOT STAY on islands, but we do know the islands. Daydream Island to me is ugly, five minutes and you have walked around the island...what next ..get out !

Further more, why are you knocking Hook Island ?? because I said something about it in the Whitsunday Forum....you and I know that Hook Island is gorgeous !

Skipper/Airlain, everyone has an option and others not being locals also have opinions. I suggest you answer elsewhere in the forums, so at least you show some travel experience than just the Whitsundays !

EM.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

I didn't understand your last paragraph at all Ellemay. I agree Hook Island is beautiful, now it is a few years since I have been there but I will defintely not stay there... maybe if i can pitch my own tent but thats the only way..

10. Re: concerned about resorts reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:10 am, March 01, 2008
Get answers to your questions about Hook Island