We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

We're a mid 40's couple looking at a 7night stay in the whitsundays and want advice on the best resort for our needs. We're concerned and confused by varying posts concerning the standard of accommodation and need clarification about the local snorkelling and diving. Lizard appears to have the best snorkelling from the beach but the accommodation sounds really jaded, Bedarra likewise but without the snorkelling and diving unless you take a small boat. Can you snorkel off Hayman and what's the dive centre like? How does the accommodation compare? I'm looking for the perfect clean white beach, easy access to snorkelling, enough people to make it interesting without kids around, upmarket, chic, private and stylish accomodation. Finally is 7 nights too much and can you combine Lizard with say Hayman without travelling back to the mainland? The Maldives Soneva Fushi of the Whitsundays - does it exist? Any suggestions gratefully received

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Firstly Lizard and Bedarra are not in the Whitsundays. Lizard is 1 hour flight north of Cairns, Bedarra is 45 mins south and Haymn is reached via Hamilton Island (or Prosperpine)

Bedarra does not have snorkelling as such, we were actually advised by the GM there that it wasn't what we were looking for, just to chill out an be together..

Having stayed at both Hayman and Lizard a few times my choice is Lizard. Snorkelling is right off the beach as well as a variety of small beaches nearby. We haven't had a tired room, in fact our last haymn stay our room was definitesly showing signs of wear and tear, as was a lot of the resort itself. We got jaded with Hayman as the kids club increased the number of pre 5s markedly and I wasn't too impressed by the conferences and being woken at 6 am by the little girl in the next room playing her violin on the Vreandah...when I go to an upmarket resort the last thing I want is kids running around the restaurant, if you look at the reviews a number mention kids...

Hayman reef diving is now done via an external operator so it's hit and miss who you get on the trip and how many.

Lizard is all little bungalows, and you get one shared wall neighbour but you can well be excused at times for thinking you have a private paradise (as was the guy on the Verandah of the room next to ours when I walked back up from the beach at 7am... ; )

Rooms on Lizard are true to the pictures on the web, the only tired thing in our room last year was the daybed mattress but it is fair to take into account the effect the sun has so quickly. We usually end up talking with someone, esp if you do one of the reef trips, the cod hole is amazing. At the end of 7 nights I usually want to stay a bit longer, there are things to do if you are active, walk etc and a good libarary games area etc. The tv room is there but hardly used from what I see, but if you are an internet or mobile phone junkie then it wont work for you.

Beaches

Lizard is the soft white sand on most of the island. Hayman has a mud flat with ground coral, and the nearest walk to snorkel is 40 mins an ona very lumpy coral beach...snorkelling is good but IMHO not a patch on what it was...too many visitors..

Haymna is currently in the process of constructing private homes so I'm not sure how this would affect the island resort for noise etc. Not to mention increasing the popn...

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Have you considered Paradise Bay on Long Island in the Whitsundays?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Have to second the above response. I guess if you look hard you can find some maitenance issues in the Lizard accommodation but it's still very good. The snorkelling is IMHO the best we've experienced in the world in terms of accessibility and general quality and we've snorkelled and dived locally and internationally over the years. You can't fly from Lizard to Hayman or visa versa unless you charter a private plane!

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll have a look

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Thanks very much for your extensive response. I'll have another look. Sounds like hayman is definately out. At the moment it's between Bedarra and Lizard, although someone else has suggested another island which I'll look into.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Styaed on Paradise Bay too! I woul rate that ahead of Hayman but behind Lizard (but comes out in front on $$$ to lizard)

beach is not fantatsic and you need to do the daytrips to get the snorkelling or the heli reef.

Food is excellent but it is communal dining which may or may not suit...our company for most of the time was wonderful, only 1 meal where the company left abit (but that was a journo doing a review and I find it rude to have someone jumping up and taking photos during a meal, not to mention taking photos of you and other guests without their permission...

It is far more intimate, rooms in a very similar condition and Style to Lizard but the big drawback for us was no ability to just snorkel off the beach..

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

Good to know. I think it sounds too rustic for me. Don't fancy being without air con in that heat either. Not very eco friendly I know.

Out of interest have you been to Qualia? I think I've read that there is just a man made beach there? I'm also assuming there is little or no snorkelling off the resort? Rooms and pool looked ok though.

What's the situation with regard to Box jellyfish in January in all these resorts? Please don't tell me we shouldn't swim without a protective suit.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

Mentioned in this post
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
1,434 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

haven't stayeat Qualia, as we chose Paradise Bay over it. I'm not a lover of Hamilton island, too much lime Waikiki for me. You are right about the snorkelling though, yes there is a bit but nothing great, once again a daytrip required.

Box jellies are coastal creatures so you don't usueally see them on the islands. there is another called the Irukanji which is also a bit ummm and is not restricted to coastal fringes. Most resorts recc that you wear a stinger suit at that time of year...sometimes i think its more liability protection than actual risk..

January is not the best time, its the beginning of cyclone season adn is likely to havee heavy tropical downpours. man places are also likely to be heavily booked for 2010 as it is our peak travel time for locals.

Mentioned in this post
Qualia Resort
Qualia Resort
1,434 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
9. Re: hayman,bedarra or lizard snorkelling, diving vs room quality

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 07, 2010