We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hayman in June?

jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Hayman in June?

I've seen the posts regarding the temperature in August, how about June? We are thinking about traveling to Hayman or Lizard in early June, will we have temperatures above 80 F?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hayman in June?

The hotel was built in the 80s and not much has been done since.

Hayman had major refurb from early 2000's each wing was progressively closed and completely refitted out.

Don't believe as gospel the reviews you read on here. Everyone has different opinions and expectations.

LOL, the price of Hayman now is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago which is why the maintenance etc has slowed down.

We've done quite a few trips to hayman as it took kids under 12 and was the best on offer for us at that time. On each and every visit they have been recoping the sandstone blocks around the edge of the pool, re cushioned the sunlounges, and there was evidence of ongoing maintenance.

Now that our daughter has reache the magical age we choose Lizard (ends out being about the same total price by the time we put in Dinghy hire, food, a reef trip or adventure on one day) becuase it is more relaxing and quiet (and has no one elses little kids to annoy you)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hayman in June?

I'm not sure of your last question re beach resort. Lizard obviously is all beach/resort. Cockatoo Hill retreat is a gem of a place in the Daintree, the oldest rainforest in the world. It is a place that will take your breath away, very remote, unique with long empty beaches, more for walking on then swimming. You would self drive from Cairns about 2 hours, cross the river on a barge and arrive at a lovel resort called Cockatoo hill. This is a place for exploring, take a guided walk through the rainforest, jungle surfing, crocodile tour of the river, walking along the beach, perhpas a 4WD to Cooktown the most northern town of Australia.

Blue Mountains is about a 2 hour drive from Sydney with amazing scenery, think treed grand canyon. Wonderful for hiking.

If you are looking for other options elsewhere in the world look up Poistano in Italy. This would fit the bill of beach and city. To me Positano and Rome are the most romantic places in Italy. You fly into Rome and see the city for a few days then drive (I would suggest have the hotel pick you up, about a 3 hour drive) to Positano, a small town built into the cliff beside the sea. Several upscale hotels. I stayed at Le Agavi, a bit out of town but it has the most wonderful view of the town and the sea. They also have a private beach, (pebbles not sand). Wonderful food. It is old world rather than ultra modern but we loved it. They have a shuttle bus to town about 7 minutes if that. Other options are Le Serenuse and another hotel I can't remember the name of, both are more upscale. Check out the reviews on this site. Positano also has wonderful restaurants and is great to explore. It's also worthwhile to do day trips or stay a night or two at Ravello, a mountain get away. A favourite hotel of mine in Rome is the Hassler Hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hayman in June?

I also forgot to mention that from Positano you can do a day trip to the island of Capri or stay a day or two at one of the luxury hotels. Check out some of the traveller photos of Le Sirenuse, it gives you a great idea of what Positano looks like.

jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hayman in June?

Wow, thank you very much, I'll look into that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hayman in June?

Australian Travel and Leisure has an article listing must see places. Cockatoo Hill retreat is listed under Queensland in the review. The article can be viewed on the Sydney Morning Herald travel web page under Places to visit before you are 65.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hayman in June?

Hi there. I just wanted to let you know that my partner and I just returned from a holiday on Hayman Island and it was gorgeous. These negative posts are obviously coming from people who dont like a few chips of paint off buildings, and maybe some leaves in the pool (there were storms the day before we arrived which isnt unusual for Summer). The Australian sun is extremely harsh and there is bound to be signs of wear here and there. But certainly not 'decrepit and falling apart!' I saw landscapers everywhere tending to the gardens every day, our rooms were kept immaculate, the service was absolutely second to none and the pool was like a dream. It is a bit expensive but very luxious and the food is definately 5 star. That day fresh seafood and a variety of restaurnats to choose from.

Please read some of the more positive comments on Hayman before ruling it out completely. We were definately wanting a luxious holiday when we booked Hayman and thats exactly what we got. Picturesque location, great snokelling, great pool, abundance of drinks :) Perfect holiday.

jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Hayman in June?

Thank you, that is great to hear. We just need to figure out the temperature situation in June to make sure it is warm enough for us that time of year...

18. Re: Hayman in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 21, 2009