We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, ( I didn't get any reply to my first post, so I'll try again)

Hi all,

My hubby and I are coming up in 29 days, 2 hrs and 13 mins give or take. (Yes, I'm slightly excited!!!) I'm wondering if you could help me with a couple of questions.

1. Is there somewhere we can hire dvd's? (I don't think we'll need to because I'm dragging the old fella out to try everything we possibly can)

2. What is the likely hood of 'Stingy Things' being in the water? Would we have to wear stinger suits to kayak? (there's a good chance I will fall out)

3. We are 50 and 51 yrs old, so is there evening entertainment for old hippies like us, or is it aimed more at the younger generation?

and lastly (for now),

We can't really afford to go out to the pontoon, but I would really really love to see some sea turtles. Is there any particular spot around the island where we could snorkel with a good chance of spotting one?

Thank you for any help.

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi

Answers below:

1. Is there somewhere we can hire dvd's?

Yes there is a DVD shop but to be honest you're on an island and there's plenty to do (even if it rains) rather than sit in a hotel watching DVDs

2. What is the likely hood of 'Stingy Things' being in the water? Would we have to wear stinger suits to kayak? (there's a good chance I will fall out)

The main season for the stingers is til April. I've never seen anyone with the stinger suits on at Catseye Beach - just double check with the staff on the island. On kayaks and catamarans we never wore them and we always travel in the middle if stinger season (feb).

3. We are 50 and 51 yrs old, so is there evening entertainment for old hippies like us, or is it aimed more at the younger generation?

There is a bar at the Reef View Hotel where they have a piano, there's also some entertainment at the main pool bar (which is a big mix of people young and older) and also the Marina Tavern has live music and trivia nights (and a good place for a great dinner) again with a good mix of people.

and lastly (for now),

We can't really afford to go out to the pontoon, but I would really really love to see some sea turtles. Is there any particular spot around the island where we could snorkel with a good chance of spotting one?

I don't know much about this, so I'd ask when you get on the island. I would definitely recommend a half day trip to Whitehaven Beach or a snorkel safari.

Where are you staying? Another way to save $ is to preorder groceries from Coles online.

Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you 'Barina'!

We're staying at the Frangipani Lodge, so from your answers, it seems there's plenty of things for us within walking distance.

I've registered with Coles on-line, and I think we're now all prepared for our big adventure.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Deanne :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Fyi, the Marina Tavern is not within walking distance but you can just catch the courtesy bus into the strip of shops/Marina area.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

No need to walk.. The apartment should come with a golf buggy... Heaps of fun

Abbey

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Having stayed in Frangipani our unit came with a buggy to get around in. But, if you want a few drinks there is a courtesy bus and it runs fairly late . There is a late night nightclub on the weekends but before it opens ( around midnight) the same bar was a cocktail bar with easy listening style music. We frequent the island at varied times of the year and never see people in stinger suits on the main beach on the water equipment and many swim.i think the infrequency of stings encourages complacency , but you can ask for the suits at the same place you hire the canoes etc. I'm an over cautious person though. There are some turtles that appear off Catseye beach and the water sport hire place on he beach will give you information. We are near your age and find the island a wonderful place to visit including night entertainment. And the DVD hire is quite limited ( hire shop in store near main resort pool) enjoy your holiday

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

If the trip to the reef is too costly have a look at the half day tour to Whitehaven beach, well worth the money...

Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks! I hope we meet lots of people like yourselves, and we're very much looking forward to it!

Happy and safe travels to you!

Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanx, I've now downloaded a map of the shuttle-bus which I think you're talking about. Looks like a brilliant idea for getting around when we're a little too . . . ummm . . happy to be driving! Hahaha. Thank you!

Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanx Abbey, we do get a buggy. It does sound like heaps of fun! I've also noticed on the 'Weekly Activities' there's a buggy ralley! Did you do this?

Wallan, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanx Ellitea, I've now checked things out a little more, and found that the Seaplane trip to Whitehaven isn't too bad price wise, compared to everything else. Might give that a go if we have the energy left after everything else.

We also think the Sunset Cruise with the Indigo people look like great value!

It's a pity we only have 5 days, there's sooooooo much to do! Lol!

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics