We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday with Teenagers

maleny
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday with Teenagers

We're looking at taking an island holiday in late June / early July 2013 with a 14 year old boy and 16 year old girl for 5 nights. They both have severe food allergies so we need our own kitchen facilities and somewhere to buy groceries. Hamilton Island is looking like the best option - is it a good spot for teenagers? Are there likely to be other guests their own age? Also, is it warm enough to swim at that time of year?

Would love to hear from people who have stayed at HI with kids in similar age group

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

Hi bec,

There should be other kids their age there, particularly if you are going in school holidays. It's a very family friendly island.

There's a small supermarket on the island at the marina, but you can also order groceries online and have them delivered to your apartment.

As for swimming, it depends, some years the water is still very pleasant, and others it has been a bit chilly. There is a heated pool that all guests can use at the Reef View Hotel if the ocean and other pools are too cold for you and some apartments have spas as well.

Have you found a few accommodation options that you like? There are many good reviews to be read on here if you have time to comb through them all.

TW

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

An apartment is certainly a great option for you as you not only get a large space but a golf buggy to travel around in

The island certainly appeals to more younger families and I'm not sure your teenagers will find other teenagers to mix with but there are lots of activities for them ... Check out the HI site

I also find the water too cold for me to swim but then I love warm water.. But as mentioned the reef hotel has a heated pool

It is a very safe environment and your kids can happily go off on their own and you know they are safe .. There are free shuttles which circle the island and the kids can get on and off where they please... They'll probably enjoy this aspect

There are quad bikes, tennis, mini golf, water activities, indoor bowling, movie nights etc

Abbey

Benalla
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

I have just finished a 5 night stay at Hamilton island, staying at Lagoon 003 managed by Hamo Rent, 6 of us stayed including my husband and I, my mother, children aged 13, 16, and 18. It was a filthy apartment, cockroaches thick black filth on fridge seals,dirty fridge on the inside, foul shower frames, overflowing bin on arrival, putrid plastic cutlery tray needed washing immediately, thick dust on most surfaces, a microwave that needed throwing out with paint peeled back to metal all over the inside base, no linen left for the trundle bed, 1 room key left for 6 guests is very impractical, late check in as they were still cleaning, (not sure what they were cleaning though) holes in cornices of dressing room ,shocking service and response when we rang to voice our displeasure, 4 of my family members all got gastro on the second day, we wonder if it was from the putrid conditions??? My 18 year old ended up on a drip, Doctor charged $500 for medication and 2 hours on the drip, another $120 spent at doctors the next day for my daughter, and a $98 script for 10 little tablets which were not on the Island and took overnight and much vomiting until they arrived.Was offered a cleaner to come back to the apartment, but when she(cleaner) did not have a mask to wear she decided not come in to clean in case she would catch gastro as well. The cleaner was kind enough to return with a bucket and cleaning wipes for me which was the only decent thing to happen, as we never heard from the management again. I ran into 4 guests staying 2 apartments down at lagoon 005 owned by different owners but also run by Hamo Rent, they had stayed on the Island on other occasions at different accomodation, they said they had traveled the world and never seen such a dirty apartment as the one they were staying in Lagoon 005, they showed me photos of a filthy ceiling and actual bunch of thick black fungus/mushrooms which were growing in the corner of their apartment living room, they also had filthy vents, dusty surfaces etc. They had demanded Hamo Rent return and clean their room, whilst they left for a few hours for the room to be cleaned again. I asked for owners details to voice my concerns but was refused, Management told me the owner and Hamo Rent thought that the conditions and cleanliness were acceptable to them, what I saw can not be blamed on one bad cleaning job, it was weeks and months of built up filth, and to meet other guests in the same situation confirmed how unacceptable this was. What I did see of the Island was beautiful, the people/ retail shop assistants were all fantastic, and also horrified when i told them of my apartment conditions. The cleanliness of the Island, apart form my accomodation was exceptionally clean and beautifully maintained. The pools looked beautiful,the General Store had a great range, reasonable prices and fantastic staff.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,075 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

Sue G - sad story indeed

However, we have rented a few apartments in frangipani and not had any issues. Look at the reviews on here for apartments.

School hols there are load of kids around. It depends on how proactive your teens are as well as to if they make friends with others. Lot of activities for kid that age if they are active. Pools can be a bit cold a that time of year if it it windy.

Do a Coles home delivery which is a great help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

Hi sue... I'm sorry you had such a bad time in lagoon.. This reflects badly on the island and private apartments

Firstly did you take photos of all the problems, this should be the first step I'd take ... I tried to research lagoon 003 and I see they advertise on stays.. Did you book through stays or direct with the holiday company ... The photos look really nice but there are no guest comments..most owners rely on good follow up and will contact the previous guests asking them to fill in a guest book online

Whilst the owner should be aware of any problems, they probably don't live on the island but the holiday company should be responsible for any damage or lack of cleaning .. I would try contacting the owners through stays and see what reply you get, if you get no joy then I would ring the island management as they have all the owners details ... I would also forward what you have written and tell Hamo rent that you intend to post a review on trip advisor shaming them into doing something.. These apartments are very expensive and I can't believe an owner would knowingly allow their apartment to be so run down

Getting ill would be hard to prove and whilst expensive, it shows the need to have travel insurance even if holidaying in Australia and at least the island has a doctor and chemist.. Many other resorts don't have these facilities and these are very reassuring especially when travelling with young children and lastly I'd write to the island admin .. All companies on the island are answerable to Hamilton island enterprises and if there is any health risk, they would not be happy

I've never seen anything like you have detailed and it reflects badly on all apartment owners .. Many have spent thousands of dollars renovating and it's no fun having unhappy guests

Good luck

Abbey

Benalla
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

Thanks Abbey for your reply, you are right about the Doctors and Chemist, although expensive, they were wonderful to us, and I couldn't have asked for better treatment, I did have travel insurance and am checking that out. And thanks for telling me about Hamilton Island Enterprises, I did not know this, but now that I do i will be sending them a letter with photos of the conditions.

Since arriving home from the holiday I had again emailed my concerns to Hamo Rent,and after a few days to reply they sent an email back to me full of excuses for the condition of the apartment, they said they are under allot of pressure to clean the apartment to let the next guests in, (which is not my problem), they said the guests before us had left a big mess for them to clean up, etc etc, but none of HamoRents problems should have become ours, and emails such as this aren't great PR. They did say they will speak to owners about the conditions of certain items, but I wonder if they really will tell the owners. If I owned that apartment and paid HamoRent to Manage and clean it, I would be wanting a refund. They also claimed that I refused to let a cleaner come back in to clean when it was offered, but I never refused her, she was a lovely young girl and I told her she should go and get a mask before coming in to clean, as at that stage my husband and 2 of my teenagers were inside with vomiting and diarrhoea, she went away to get a mask but couldn't find one, but she was thoughtful enough to bring back a bucket with some cleaning products for me, I told her I did not expect her to come in without a mask if she didn't want to under the circumstances, she chose not to, I would have felt terrible for her to get sick as well. She was lovely and apologetic for the conditions we were given. I am new to this site and not sure If i can post photos for you to see, I'd love to show them to you.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

if u write a TA review u can post photos but dont know whether this type of accommo qualifies for a TA review. and it can take some time for a review to be posted.

u could simply start a blog, say at blogspot.com and post the pics there and come back here with the link.

also maybe flickr.com

port lincoln
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

HI Bec 67! My family and I, hubby and 2 kids aged 13 and 10 yrs spent 8 days on Ham Is last July. Beautiful beautiful island! We stayed in the Shorelines complex of apartments, amazing views, super clean, juststunning, with our own buggy which is a MUST as it is extremley hilly! We found all of the pools a little chilly as they are not heated except for the one at the Reefview Hotel which we could use also. Sea wise the water was ok, little chilly but very windy and air temps around 20 degrees when we were there....

As for being other teens around it depends whether your kids are willing to put themselves out there and make new friends, mine didnt seem to but because it was a tad cool there werent hords of kids around the pools etc. There is plenty to do on the island, excursion wise as in snorkelling reef trips etc as well as the hire of kayaks, paddleboards, dingys etc but bear in min dit all costs money. There is small supermarket on the island, maybe a bit limiting if allergies involved but you can order from Coles On-line to have it delivered from the mainland. Island supermarket dearer then the mainland of course. Lots of nice restaurants, bakery, cafes etc about. If we travelled again I would prob choose a warmer month but I guess you can not predict the weather! If your teens are willing to get out and about they will find fun for sure and there is also a free shuttle that gets about- you need a license for the buggy's. Let us know how you get on. Cheers

port lincoln
Level Contributor
203 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

To add to my above post read my "Just back from Hamilton Island" report - trip July 2012 posted 9th October 2012..

Cheers

Edited: 10:32 pm, February 04, 2013
Bundeena, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday with Teenagers

It's always so interesting to read other peoples perspective of Hamilton Island. I've been to the island a few times over the past years and have always booked with HamoRent cause their service has been above and beyond. The apartments are always clean and well kept when I've been there. Although I made a mistake of going during the wet season one year and found mold growing over night with the humidity. Didnt help with an AC leaking from upstairs onto our ceiling.

As my for kids, the safest and easiest holiday by far, hence I'll always go back. No major traffic and you know they can't go too far. I love meeting new families and having a few beers and BBQ.

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics