We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

We booked this holiday accomodation for the beginning of December. We have stayed on the island many times as its a great place to have a relaxing holiday where you can do nothing or lots.

We usually book through hamilton Island Holiday Homes but tried a new agent www.hamiltonislandaccommodation.info ( for no reason other than it i accidently logged into their site by typing the address of HIHH wrong in my search) . The prices were the same as the former company and it all looked great on paper in terms of positrion view etc.. .and these were good. The unit was fairly clean (a lot of biscuit crumbs were in the lounge), the front screen didn't close (not good if you prefer breeze to air conditioning) and the external ashtray was full.

OImportant though not told to us, the unit complex has a curfew for buggies at 11 pm which means if you stay out later you must leave your buggy on the road. Its not unsafe or far to walk, however if the buggy needs recharging (they are electric) it means the next day you can no longer use the buggy as it needs then to be charged up. The agent did not inform us of this. We found the sign by chance (on the gate that was usually open) when the gate was locked ,as we arrived back at around 11:15 pm. Had we been aware we could have travelled back fifteen minutes early (or in my case wouldn't have booked the accomodation at all) The units booked through HIHH also provide beach towels, hairdryer,(these things are good to reduce luggage and the need to take home wet towels in suitcases) non motorised sports and are part of the kids eat free program (though we have no kids many families would enjoy this bonus).

I advised the company that the buggy situation should be infomed to potential tenants in future but to date havereceived no reply to my comment although I sent it whilestill on vacation. as to whether they will be considering this in future.

The accommodation is fine if you are back early , don't mind wet towels in your suitcase and don't intend using any non motorised sports and no kids under 12.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We definitely won't be using HIHH given the lack of customer service alone. We stayed in a private apartment last time and the customer service was outstanding.

Too bad about the buggy. Did this mean you couldn't go out the next day as the buggy battery was flat?

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
965 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

We hadn't had trouble with HiHH we'd found them wellpriced and good properties, This was our first time with Acom whitsundays (hamiltonislandaccommodation.info) so it wasn't a good introduction. THe buggy was close to flat and the instructions given to us said it shouldn't be driven around past 30 % so , yes, instead of charging it overnight we had to charge it through the day. Lucky for the local bus service, though the reality was we booked a unit with a buggy cause we didnt want to be confine by timetables. . Of course the company still has made no correspondence regarding my email.:)

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

That is a shame!

I can say that I've booked with www.hamiltonisland.biz and they were just fantastic! We were taken to our apartment (Anchorage 10) and shown around etc.

And last year we booked with HIHH and had a few problems when we got to our apartments and they took forever to come and see us etc. lack of service. And we were told by reservations that apartments 17 & 18 were in the same building right next to one another and they were wrong! They were in seperate buildings.

Next year we will go back to booking with wee.hamiltonisland.biz

maitland
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

hi there,we have just returned from Hamilton Island for the 3rd time previously staying in poinciana 008 however its up for sale so it was not available so researched other properties in the poinciana lodge and no 009 came up smelling of roses,however when we got there it smelt like a fish co op,the valet man left the room dry reaching and housekeeping was called,he arrived and noticed the smell from outside,it was rotten,we couldnt find where it was coming from,we asked for another room as we also found cupboard doors hanging off (3 of them),large scratches and marks on the walls,BBQ had fat running down the doors (probably because there is no BBQ cleaning equipment in the room),stains on the quilt (bad) the kids room had non matching hospital type quilts on there bed,upon removing the king bed sheets we found large stains and pubic hairs,a spare blanket was just thrown into a cupboard not folded,sliding doors hadly slid at all,inside and outside all the kitchen cupboards were delaminating,the oven didnt work,the whole room was nothing short of a disgrace,we were offered another room on the other side of the island however as we were with 9 other families this was not an option,so we moved in with friends to no 001 which was very nice,friends also had 003,006,010,012 as well as others and they were all perfect.we got our money back thank god.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Wow that sounds awful, sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope you still had a great holiday.

I am planning to go to HI for the first time late August with my mother. I'm toying between poinciana 006, Whitsunday apartments and palm bungal

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Wow that sounds awful, sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope you still had a great holiday.

I am planning to go to HI for the first time late August with my mother. I'm toying between poinciana 006, Whitsunday apartments and palm bungalows. Poinciana is more expensive but includes a buggy and water sports (I think!). Not sure if we need a buggy though due to the free buses?

Would be great if anyone out there could advise me on any of the above?? I've seen mixed reviews about poinciana and I'm concerned that 006 is on the ground floor so not as much privacy maybe? 

We are looking to chill out at the beach and pools ( my mum

Loves swimming!) and take a few trips, including one to whitehaven. I think you can use any of the pools? I guess it may be chilly in aug/sep?we would be looking to eat out some nights, bur a BBQ would be great for some nights in as I see it's very expensive on the island!!

Any advice would be warmly received and very much appreciated! I'm confused!!!! 

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Omg that's terrible! Thankfully they gave you a full refund!!!!

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Clairesarah - I will send you a personal message with lots of info ok.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

Thanks so much Barina80! Much appreciated. Will look forward to reading your advice :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poinciana Lodge 009 Hamilton Island

I think it is ideal to get a buggy so you can drive yourself around and visit more places that the bus does not take you. But given your plans for a relaxing holiday, you may be fine without the buggy.

Just to give you an idea of where we went in our buggy: we drove ourselves up to the One Tree Hill area to see all the rich houses perched up on the mountain top, we drove out to see the staff quarters etc.

With or without a buggy, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics