We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship one day in port

Which Hamilton Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise ship one day in port

We will be on Hamilton Island for one day off the Volendam in November. What would you suggest we do for one day? I can't seem to find a lot of information.

Is there a beach that we can access? Is there enough to do walking around or should we book a snorkel trip from the pier?

thank you for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cruise ship one day in port

No that's fine, I do understand but yes you are limited by the size of the island... Check out goggle earth and it will give you an idea, whilst the island looks quite large, under the law only a small percentage was allowed for development

You could contact one of the air companies based at HI and arrange a private tour this way, at least you would be assured of arriving back on time for the return to the ship... These can transport you out to the reef which is about 2.5 hours by boat although there are many more snorkelling spots closer to HI

I will be interested to check out the shore excursions to see what your ship offers

Abbey

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cruise ship one day in port

Hi,

I would recommend to have a look at Hamilton Island Air

http://www.hamiltonislandair.com/ they are based on the island and offer helicopter and seaplane flights. That way you will be able to see the Reef or Whitehaven Beach or even just a scenic flight around the islands. If you call and talk to them and explain that you are in port for the day I'm sure they will be able to give you some good advice.

Another suggestion would be to hire a golf buggy for the day and go and explore the island. Where the tenders come into the island is the marina side, and there is a golf buggy hire shop right there. You can go across to the other side of the island (which is only a few minutes) to Catseye Beach or head up to One Tree Hill and get some amazing views. There are a few boutiques to shop at aswell, plus a supermarket and chemist if needed.

You could always just sit by the beach, on a sun lounge under the shade of a palm tree and watch the world go by aswell!

13. Re: Cruise ship one day in port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics