We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitsundays in March

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Whitsundays in March

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has stayed in the Whitsundays, Hamilton Island in particular, in March? We are going up on the 17th of March and staying on Hamilton island for 5 nights. A few things I am wondering...

When do the jelly fish usually go away? We are happy (and prepared) to wear suits but just curious.

And is March toward the end of the wet season or can we expect a fair bit of wet weather?

And I'd love to hear if there are any 'must see/do's' on the Island.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Airlie Beach...
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitsundays in March

Hi

Our official stinger season is Oct - May. stinger suits are a fashion icon of the area.

The wet season generally runs into late March / April, we have not had much rain this year.. it seems to have all gone south.. (hope everyone is keeping safe down there)

so fingers crossed for you to have a dry sunny week.. Even if its wet theres plenty of activities to keep you entertained!!

Sailing, golf, reef trip, whitehaven beach trip, jet ski, snorkelling, spa treatments, bush walks: the list goes on!! dont forget to cuddle a Koala!!

Have a great time in our back yard!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitsundays in March

Thank you so much for such a quick reply. I was just a bit anxious about the weather as we have never been up there before, and almost never get a chance to go away! It sounds wonderful. If it rains I'm sure we will find plenty to keep us entertained. Thanks again for you reply, can't wait to get up there!

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitsundays in March

Hi

We go at the end of February and have done this now 3 times. Yes it is wet season, but out of the 3 times there, it has rained once. And that day was spent down in the pool bar - which we had to ourselves!

They do create additional wet weather activities - just keep your eyes out on the activity board down at the main resort centre.

A few nice things to do on the island:

Cocktails and watch the sunset at One Tree Hill (or if you are keen go and watch sunrise - I personally think its better), on a Sunday afternoon next to the Manta Ray Cafe down by the marina they have a musician, so take a picnic rug or towel and some wine / cheese etc and you will enjoy the afternoon relaxing, there are plenty of Great Barrier Reef and Whitehaven Beach tours, quad bike tour which takes you up to the top of the island for an incredible view, water activities such as jet ski tour, catamarans, and there also is a new bowling alley which wasn't open the last time I was there.

You won't be disappointed that there is nothing to do!

Mentioned in this post
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,703 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Manta Ray
Manta Ray
1,751 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,734 posts
1,685 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitsundays in March

for additional info on stingers.

www.marinestingers.com.au

Sydney
Level Contributor
207 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitsundays in March

We were on HI for 5 days over including the 17th in 2010, and experienced a cyclone. That is just the luck of the draw.

Must do's, drive around the island in your golf buggy and take in the beautiful views, Whitehaven, the Reef on a good day, and a helicopter if the budget can stretch to it (again on a good day). Absolutely wonderful!.

Drinks on your balcony, lying by the pool. We have done the Denison Star dinner cruise twice, very nice. I believe that the sunset cruise is terrific also and would possibly be a better value way to experience sunset on the water. The Whitsundays are beautiful, and I am hanging out to go again...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitsundays in March

thanks everyone so much for the info. really looking forward to it!

7. Re: Whitsundays in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, May 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics