We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney and Hamilton Island

S. Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney and Hamilton Island

I am travelling to Australia end of July and will be staying in Sydney and on Hamilton Island. I am travelling alone and was wondering if anybody could recommend places to stay and eat, as a single woman, late 40's who enjoys something lively but not over the top and can then retreat to peace and quiet when needed?!

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

Hi, chrissytmd!

Do you have a price range in mind? Do you want five-star or the 'Y'? Do you like big and flashy with all the trimmings or small and old with lots of "local flavour"?

There are loads of possible recommendations buzzing around in my head for Sydney (haven't anything at all for Hamilton Island), and they are all centred around the Rocks, which, without doubt, is the best area in Sydney to stay in (unless, of course, you've just come for the shopping). As you tell us more about your preferences, I'm sure the "loads" will gradually edit down to two or three stand-outs.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

With regardsto hamilton the only "peace and quiet" will be available at the Beach Club..the adults only part of the resort. Hamilton is kid zone..stay, play and eat free.. so the rest of the resort is packed with screaming noisy children..as is the flight there and back..

beach club will give you access to the nightclubs, restaurants and bars and somewhere to escape.

As Alan said in Sydney your budget will be especially important.. the nicest hotels are down near Circular Quay and the rocks... most are not geared to kids but are near bars etc..

S. Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

Thanks for the info. I think I would prefer to stay somewher ewith a bit of character and some luxury as I don't like cheap and nasty. ( A clean bed and toilet are a must!) My budget is around ��50-��60 per night in Sydney- staying for 4 nights. I would like to be pretty central but don't mind a walk.

I'm going off the idea of Hamilton Island as I've been quoted ��800 for accommodation only for a week. So now thinking of Airlie beach as an alternative- I'd be grateful for some feedback if you have any info.

Many Thanks

Chris

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

Chrissytmd, my computer didn't like the characters which preceded your price, so I am presuming you are talking English pounds here -- certainly, if you're talking Australian dollars, there is no way you would get a room at Circular Quay/the Rocks with a private bath for anything like that. However, if your budget is around $AUD150 per night, then you have several options. Some people have spoken of the Corus as being a good value hotel, and while it';s not right in the Rocks, it's only a short walk.... and I think that this might come in slightly under your budget. It isn't, however, a traditional hotel with any character. For that, you might need to extend your budget just a little (try the Russell or the Lord Nelson Brewery; the former of these is often featured on www.wotif.com for a price around your budget, but make sure, before you book, that the room has an ensuite -- they have some cheaper rooms (around $AUD100) which are share bath) or, of course, accept a hotel with a share bath, in which case you have such interesting old choices as the Australian (at the entrance to the Harbour Bridge footway) and the Grand in Hunter Street.

Another choice -- absolutely no character, but I always think that for people who insist on a private bath yet want to be near the water and the best parts of Sydney it is particularly good value for money -- might be the Travelodge in Phillip St. It is also featured often on wotif.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

On the Hamilton Island question, thats a place we would only consider with the grandkids and you have been given some very sound advice on it already. Airlie is a nice spot but not for week on your own in my view. My suggestion would be to have a look at going to Cairns or Mission Beach post sydney, from Cairns you can do trips out to Fitzroy and Green Islands or from Mission Beach out to Dunk Island. I would not necessarly stay in Cairns itself but perhaps one of the northern beaches, Trinity is our favorite or Palm Cove, both have some very nice and affordable accommodation for solo travellers. Mission Beach is much quieter and not really much night life as such but some very reasonable restaurants. July is peak season in Queensland so you will pay a premium but the weather is fantastic and the place is worth every cent/shilling. If you don;t want to head into the tropics then consider the sunshine coast, Caloundra or Noosa, the latter being a bit more upmarket, again plenty of options for all budgets and good value for money both accommodation and meals. I know you have already been given the wotif website, another worth a look for all australian cities and towns is www.quickbeds.com.au

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,299 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

If you are really keen on a Whitsunday Island perhaps Daydream may offer an alternative. It has worked hard to lose it's kids image by replacing the creche with a luxury spa. Prices here should be much cheaper than Beach Club at hamilton.

Airlie is very much backpacker party town. But it is striving ahrd to attract some of the more mature group with new apartments (serviced) such as medditeranian and Pinnacles.

I too was going to suggest heading furhter north to perhaps Port Douglas.. large variety of accom styles...still quiet but with some nightlife... I haven't stayed in Palm Cove as yet it's on the list for October so can't compare other than one quick drive in a few years ago and there was very little in accom styles. This has changed rapidly.

In Sydney.. not sure of the rates but my guess is you're around the 180AUD mark.

Some nice places you may get a room would be Y on the park which despite it being a YWCA is really nice and well located. If you are comfortable with using airline network UK look for something at Sir Stamford Circular Quay. Another good choice may be Star City which is a little isolated but is supposed to be good value for money. Also think abgout pacific International.

S. Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

Thanks for all this info- I'll spend a busy weekend surfing the web and looking at all the suggestions- they've been a great help.

It was British Pounds for my stay in Sydney!

Cheers

Chrissytmd

Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

In July, you will find that Hamilton Island is quite quiet and warm. The only time of the year where families dominate is around Christmas time -but you'll find that at any resort destination in Australia.

The best thing about Hamilton Island as opposed to other island resorts is that there is a choice of 6 hotels, a range of privately owned villas, 10 restaurants, 10 pools, and heaps of shops and activities.

If budget is not an issue - then the Beach Club is definitely the place to stay. It is a small resort and the staff there are superb - they even drive you around the island when you go out to dinner etc. There is a lovely little restaurant at the resort which is exclusively for Beach Club guests.

If budget is an issue, then I'd suggest the Coconut Palm Bungalows. These are very affordable - 3 star - and have a private balcony (they are freestanding bungalows) in a garden setting. With the 10 restaurants on the island - there is always somewhere good to eat.

I would not recommend Airlie Beach as a getaway - I think you'll find this too backpackerish (ie they still have wet-t-shirt parties there). It is a party town for sure.

Daydream Island is a good choice - but I have heard many reports that the food and beverage is not up to scratch so if that is an important consideration for you then Hamilton would be a way better choice.

I have holidayed in all three destinations and think that Hamilton Island has something for everyone - plus you won't get bored there - which is an important consideration when travelling by yourself.

S. Wales
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney and Hamilton Island

Many Thanks for the info suseb, I will certainly now consider your suggestions and hopefully will be able to give good advice myself on my return!

Cheers

Chris

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
More Hamilton Island Topics