We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 2011

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report June 2011

My daughter (10 years) and I chose a relaxing 5 nights at Daydream Island. We made the decision to just stay on the island as we only had 4 full days and did not want to do a big day trip. We had also been to Whitehaven Beach etc on a prior trip.

Transfers

When we arrived at Hamilton Island we were able to check in and had a short wait for our transfer to Daydream (this was included in the cost of our package). Process was smooth and easy. This transfer is a bonus tour of the islands. Free drink included.

Rooms

Upgraded to Coral Ocean View Room. Beautiful view. Room was always clean and tidy. Bed comfortable and plenty of room for two.

Bags taken straight to room by staff on arrival. No lugging of suitcases which was much appreciated.

Activities

Mini Golf

Fun but I feel the prices of $8 per person or $25 for a family of four was a bit expensive. We paid once and were lucky at bingo and won a free round. Also one hole was completely closed. Fun to do.

Guided Snorkelling Safari off Lovers Cove

My daughter did this $30 (child price) for 1/2 hour (one on one). Staff from Reef Safari (Albert) were great. It was very windy on the Island but at Lovers Cove the water was smooth and great introduction to snorkelling.

Reef Ranger

This is pricey at $79 but my daughter loved it. She did fish feeding, held and carried a baby shark, stroked baby stingrays, shovel nose sharks in the splash pool (kids are in water and instructed to stand on mat and the stingrays etc come around for feeding, use glove to pat rays, they have been debarred). Held a starfish and sea cucumber. Helped with the fish feeding show at 10 am. We got a discount as we won a stingray splash voucher at Bingo and they reduced the price of this activity to $41. No problems when I asked. This was her favourite activity. They also get a hat which is a nice souvenir.

Outdoors Movie

This was fun but cold. They provide blankets which is great. Movies are family friendly. Loved doing this under the stars. A free activity

Bingo

Did not think I would be into this but it was a great family activity. 5-6pm in the Lounge Bar. Great prizes - we won free mini golf round, stingray splash voucher, and at $30 drinks tab.

Rejuvenation Spa

Fantastic. Had a half hour massage, hour facial, and a free yoga lesson and naturopath workshop. Beautiful location, staff excellent and while more expensive than home it is to be expected. My daughter also did the mini princess package which staff changed around to suit us. Do the free tour to look around I could have done heaps more but had to show some restraint. On the tour you get a free champagne. June the naturopath was lovely (beautiful person) but I noticed some of there testing equipment was not working which was a little disappointing when you consider who owns the island!

POOLS

NOT HEATED!!!!!! THIS WAS THE BIG DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE HOLIDAY. I can understand you may not heat all but only one spa was heated and that is where kids swam (you could not blame them as the pools were just too cold) so it was a little busy. I really enjoyed my time at the resort but I would not recommend others to go there in winter for this very reason. To me to cut costs on something like this is crazy. We had two beautiful sunny days where we could have swum but not in freezing cold water! Spa was very nice when there was enough room. The staff member who looked after the pools was constantly checking them and keeping them neat and tidy. She was always busy but sadly no-one was swimming because of the water temperature. HEAT THE POOLS!

Child minding

I used this service twice for short periods and staff were friendly and organised.

In house Movies

Used this once and was very easy to use.

Lovers Cove

Make sure you go there for sunset!

Food

Breakfast was always well organised and plenty of variety. We enjoyed it.

We ate at Fish Bowl, Mermaids, Splash's Pool Bar and Call and Collect. We found the food quality excellent, pricey (but no more than you would expect on the island), but the variety was limited. Mermaids had a great tapas and seafood on the menu but it changed during the week which reduced the variety on the island. I was disappointed that more seafood was not offered - I mean we are in the Whitsundays. Call and Collect is a great idea. Menus on the website give you an idea on price.

STAFF

I found all staff to be well trained, friendly and very service orientated. If you had any request out of the ordinary they always did there best to assist you. What more could you ask. Check in and Check out was very smooth. The welcome to the island was great - the shell necklace a great touch. I did not get a cocktail - that would have been really nice! They have buggies which stop and ask you if you want a ride - my daughter enjoyed that!.

Final comment

My daughter and I really enjoyed our 5 nights. Many people comment that Daydream is so small but that is what I loved about it. You can give your children some freedom in a relaxed environment. If you want to go somewhere you don't have to cook, enjoy a cocktail or two and not worry about driving, look at the amazing scenery of the Whitsundays, be well treated, have all you needs close at hand, be comfortable go to Daydream (in summer until the pools are heated and when the pools are heated go in winter as well). Thank you for a great holiday

2 replies to this topic
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report June 2011

Thanks for posting your review, shame about the pools not being heated! It's the middle of winter and I'm thinking they don't bother as in another month it will be too warm again. LOL at bingo!!

I've been reading about Daydream Island Weddings http://www.daydreamisland.org/weddings.html for a friend of mine and I'm thinking they should go there to get married! That's the problem with the Islands of Queensland, too many options :D

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report June 2011

Thanks for sharing your very detailed Trip Report. I'm sure other travellers will benefit from it. Pity about the swimming pool being too cold for swimming.

That happened to me a few months ago when I visited a hotel in Bangkok, I was wondering why no-one was swimming in the pool when it was a really humid day. Puting my big toe into the pool it was absolutely freezing... so it can put a damper on your hotel stay.

Reply to: Trip Report June 2011
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Daydream Island
More Daydream Island Topics