We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stingers!!!!

perth
1 post
Save Topic
Stingers!!!!

Hi all! Hope someone can shed some light on this topic for me. Is it possible to do all the watersports around DD island in March with all these stingers around? I understand they have suits you can hire but do people use them even for jet skiing etc? Am I right in assuming that every time we want to swim in the ocean we will have to don a suit? It kind of takes away the freedom an island holiday exudes. I have also heard people say that even if you go in August/September it is still advisable to wear the suits-is this true? I would really love to hear from anyone who has stayed at DD in March and get their thoughts. One last question-is there any island thst is less prone to stingers than DD?THANKS!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stingers!!!!

Discussing stingers on this forum can at times be touchy...to get the best advice read this article.

http://www.marinestingers.com/

To me, Aug - Sept is perfect for the Whitsundays..no need for a stinger suit.

2. Re: Stingers!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:51 am, January 30, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stingers!!!!

Hiya tiddles

There is a stinger season for the box Jellies, but the irikanji can be around all year. I don't know why it is a touchy subject, it shouln't be. For peace of mind, and for a sence of security I would recommend to anybody going in the water there to dawn a stinger suit. If you don't, you must be a gambler.or just plain ignorant, so have a blast.

Broosa

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stingers!!!!

to me stinger suits are like seat belts.

most of the time you dont really need them but when you do they can save your life.

5. Re: Stingers!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Daydream Island