We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

My family ( wife & 2 children under 11) are travelling to Daydream Island in mid July and would like to know if anyone has actually enjoyed going there as there are alot of negative reviews here.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,201 posts
2,028 reviews
1. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

We have visited the island numerous times due to having a yacht in the Whitsundays.

I think Daydream Island would be fab for a family with little ones, they will love it.....plus you can also catch a ferry over to Hamilton or the mainland if one gets slightly bored.

I would not advice this island for singles or lover's but its terrific for young families. Anyway, thats just my honest opinion.

Others, which also offer great family holidays.

Hamilton Island

South Molle Island.

Shute Harbour...
Level Contributor
334 posts
2. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

I like Daydream more than the very busy Hamilton Island, some posters have houses on Hamilton Island so the advice here can sometimes be a little biased

Daydream is a good value Whitsunday Family holiday.

Skipper

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,566 posts
204 reviews
3. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

OK,

I'm on the negatives but it is 13 years since we stayed...

but my experience was so bad you'd need to drag me kicking and screaming.

It was marketed to young families... so we had 600 kids in 300 rooms and not enough childcare to go round.

There was an endemic Rotovirus on the island and it needed to be closed a week to clear it...they even gave us warning info on arrival...so 3/4 of us were very sick...not so good with an 8 month old breastfed baby (BTW she was the only one not to get sick)

The discount offers from mainland had people ordering childrens meals for room service and then leaving left overs outside their room in the tropical heat. The meals were collected about 10am the next day...

To top it off we got an unseasonal Oct cyclone....not so good and no entertainment provided...

not a good holiday IMHO... some of this could not be balmed on the resort..

BUT all this was 13 years ago so it wouldn't be fair to say things haven't changed....a family we know went a few weeks back and they all got sick so if there is an endemic virus...you are in troublem as an island is similar to a cruise ship. my tip here would be to avoid the buffets..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
161 reviews
4. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

Ah probably about 3 years ago we had a 4 night stay there in Feb, it was good only about 40% occupancy from memory. I don't think we would have enjoyed it during holiday season, there were lots of honeymooners there at the same time.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

I stayed there about 4 weeks ago and the resort was pretty quite... a conference had just checked out the day we arrived so we found we had the resort to ourselves..

Overall the two days that we stayed was enjoyable... the food was very average and when we asked about room service for a slack night in we were told you have to ring up and collect.. so no room service

Two days was more then enough for me, but if you are staying longer then I would highly recommend a few day trips to keep the kids amused..

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
411 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

just got back, we stayed there the week before and had a fab week. The weather was glorious,the first few days not a lot of people so we felt we were the only ones there,but by the end of week it swelled a bit but not crowded. The room was fab,we were upgraded to a sea view from the garden. i had requested a ground floor so no stairs. We were just to the side of pier,had alovely private garden and we could see the coming and goings of the boats.The room was made up every day so no compaints there.Bought the gourmet picnic basket and it was a bargain for what you got.We went to the cove for the sunset.Went Para-sailing which i had always wanted to do but was scared too. it was fab, also the mermaids rest. was lovely. Went to fishbowl once,but i liked the other one better. i loved the pools. not to keen on the daytripper side,but didn't need to go over that side much. The outside theatre was fun,we had blankets over us as it was a bit chilly. i will write a review soon.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

I'm with Ellemay on this one. Good option for families - not so good for couples.

Having said that we treated ourselves to a stay here while backpacking around Oz for our anniversary. Despite it being school holidays, we still had a good time but then we're generally very positive people. The pool that has the swim up bar wasn't heated when we were there in September although this did help keep the kids in the other heated pool.

We had the buffet breakfast included in our rate so just made the most of this, then didn't have to eat another meal til the evening.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
763 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

I love DayDream Island. I've been there 3 times (2003, 2005, 2006) and going back again next month. It's a great place for a quiet relaxing holiday. My aim is to sit by the pool, read books, drink cocktails and go for the occasional swim.

The place is full of families and couples. Definately not for singles. Best to visit when it's not school holidays.

I've also been to Brampton Island (pros: no kids, great meals, had the whole pool to ourselves / cons: very, very dated, daggy rooms). Wouldn't go back unless they renoated the rooms.

Have been to Hamilton Island to, which I found very crowded and felt just like the mainland.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
46 posts
9. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

Daydream island has changed ALLOT in 13 years!

Victoria
10 posts
10. Re: Daydream Island? Has anyone enjoyed their holiday there???

We're going with 1 yro and 4 yro kids in Nov. Worry about the food as my elder one got food allergy and also the weather.

Will cruise outside DI suitable for young kids?

Will ground floor or higher floor better for young kids? Will the ground floor has view as we've booked a ocean balcony room.

Any hints/thoughts will be helpful? Thks.

Get answers to your questions about Daydream Island
More Daydream Island Topics