We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

Hi all

We are considering staying at Brampton for either a 5 or 7 night stay for our honeymoon during the first week of November.

The only thing is that obviously the island is a fair way from the reef. Is there a way in which we can still go out there on a day tour? Or is the island so far away that this is impossible?

Thanks in advance

Carly

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

Not as far as I know, sorry airlian

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

We are going up there next week but having a few days at Airlie Beach first, from where I hope to go out to the reef. I gather that from Brampton they fly you back to Hamilton to connect with a reef trip. The flight from Brampton to Mackay airport is $99 a head, so I guess that the day tour with flights would be pricey.

Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

Hi Aussie81

We stayed at Brampton Island in June this year for ten nights.

We loved it. However, the only disadvantage is that it is really too far from the Great Barrier Reef to do a 'day trip'.

That being said, it is not impossible. I believe you can charter a flight to Hamilton Island for the day - (providing they get the numbers for the flight - which is a bit risky anyway). I believe it is very expensive and probably not worth it for the sake of a day trip.

If money is an option (!) and you want to see the Reef, stay at Airlie Beach and visit various islands. Otherwise, just stay on one of the Whitsunday Islands.

The only disadvantage staying at Brampton, (which was great) is for those who want to see the Reef and Whitsunday Islands, as they are just too far away.

If the Whitsundays are your main aim, stay at either Airlie Beach where it is easy to do day trips to islands, or on a Whitsunday Island.

Alternatively, if you just want to visit the Reef for a day trip, that can be done from Cairns or Port Douglas.

Good luck.

4. Re: Brampton Stay => Can we still do a GBR day tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands