We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing with a baby

London
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sailing with a baby

We'd like to go on a sailing tour with our 9 months old in May. Do you have any advice which boat or tour company to choose, and which route? Also, would you stick to day trips with a baby or would a 2/3 day tour be doable? Ideally we'd like to be on a boat with a bit of comfort and used mostly by families and professional couples, not just gap year students. Thank you!

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
727 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing with a baby

How noisy is your 9 month old? I'm not sure an overnight would take him or her, as the quarters are definitely NOT soundproof. Is the baby nursing? On table food? There won't be any high chairs, either. And then there is the sun. Someone will theoretically have to sit in the shade and hold the baby, or be inside, which is not where you want to be, the entire time.

You'd have to hire a nanny if you and your spouse want to go snorkeling together, because no one else on the cruise will want to look after your baby.

I have 3 babies, all grown now, and sometimes you just have to wait til the baby is bigger, or get someone else to watch the baby and go yourselves. That is my suggestion. I can't think of a much less child-friendly activity.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing with a baby

As mentioned above sailing ships are quite cramped. I would think it would not be suitable for a crawling perhaps mobile baby. Sun protection would be a very big issue too.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing with a baby

I am a Paramedic and to be honest I would not even think of taking a baby on a sailing vessell. It is just too dangerous. I believe Captain Cook Cruises do motor yacht 3 day cruises off the islands up north queensland. Google them and try

Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing with a baby

There are a range of day trips that will take babies on board with them. Last time I was on Ocean Rafting there was a baby in a capsule of the trip, Whitehaven Xpress is also a good option if you've got a baby because it has an indoor area. There are also overnight trips such as Prima, and I would also try Whitsunday Sailing Adventures, looking at Summertime, Pacific Sunrise, or even Waltzing Matilda.

Don't let the fact that you've got a baby ruin your trip! If all else fails then you can go across to the islands like Daydream or Hamilton, or take the Cruise Whitsundays day trip out to the reef or out to Whitehaven Beach.

Level Contributor
15 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing with a baby

There are a range of day trips that will take babies on board with them. Last time I was on Ocean Rafting there was a baby in a capsule of the trip, Whitehaven Xpress is also a good option if you've got a baby because it has an indoor area. There are also overnight trips such as Prima, and I would also try Whitsunday Sailing Adventures, looking at Summertime, Pacific Sunrise, or even Waltzing Matilda.

Don't let the fact that you've got a baby ruin your trip! If all else fails then you can go across to the islands like Daydream or Hamilton, or take the Cruise Whitsundays day trip out to the reef or out to Whitehaven Beach.

6. Re: Sailing with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands