We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife on Hayman Island

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife on Hayman Island

Hello everyone,

I am in the midst of planning a trip to Australia with my wife and two kids (then 9 and 10) for next August. Our current plans include Hayman Island but I had some specific questions as compared to Lady Elliot Island and Heron Island. Yes, I am aware that these islands are much further south and are not part of the Whitsundays, but bear with me. :)

I am aware that Hayman is certainly much more luxurious. What I am curious about is wildlife. How does Hayman compare in terms of

- Above ground wildlife (birds and interesting insects - mammals if common)

- Snorkeling experiences within walking distance from the resort

The main reason I ask is I love wildlife photography and am curious. Also, is there another island in the Whitsundays (or elsewhere around the GBR) that offers better above ground wildlife + snorkeling experiences with decent accomodations?

Thank you for your time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

never really noticed much in the way of wildlife other than the sea life on Hayman, definitely not the mammals i suspect you want. there are usually quite a few birds, especially seagulls and cockatoos. (if you read some reviews you'll get my drift). You do get the odd lizard and definitely snakes (personal encounter)

I'm not saying the mammals aren't there but in numerous visits haven't seen them.

Blue Pearl is a walk up over the hill and back down to the beach. It has pretty good snorkelling IMHO (not comparable with heron though). The remainder of snorkelling requires a drop off (charged by the resort). The kids may not like the walk carrying their gear.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

We are wildlife lovers too. I would recommend Heron for sea life and Long Island for above ground wildlife. You can ready my review on Long Island re wildlife and nature. Note: the island is beautiful but the resort is not. But if you don't mind, the wildlife is magnificent - wallabies (like a kangaroo), goanna's, wild boar, bats, birds, turtles, bat fish etc....

I have not been to Hayman Island so I cannot comment.

Edited: 11:36 pm, October 04, 2012
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

Definitely Heron if you want sea life.. and adventures...

Hayman is a resort island.. not a lot more to do/see than the hotel and the view. Heron is much more of an adventure ... The snorkelling is far better, the recreation options more varied. Hayman is really tailored towards couples and adults... your kids will make more friends on Heron...

If seeing native wildlife is a priority for your trip though, perhaps you might like to consider Kangaroo Island in South Australia. It's an incredibly popular place for wildlife photographers and it also has amazing beaches (not tropical though)

Edited: 11:42 pm, October 04, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

Yachtgirl Hyaman have changed their marketing ploy and their clientele.

They are very much geared towards kids now and are actively seeking them. Look at the last few weeks travel sections in the Sunday News and hayman has half page ads attracting families.

Seattle
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

Thank you for your responses. This is proving to be a tough choice. As my wildlife questions were basically answered here, I will use another post to ask which island we should visit.

6. Re: Wildlife on Hayman Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands