We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Hi, I was hoping to book the Solway lass for a trip in Nov 2012 but need to get an early morning Fantasea ferry from Shute Harbour after the trip which ends at 4.30pm on the Friday (too late to get a boat to HI that evening) as I have a 9.55am flight on the Saturday morning to Cairns from HI airport. However, I now understand the Fantasea ferry stops operations this July. While it appears cruise Whitsundays are taking over the operation, i cannot yet get confirmation that they will definately run an early morning ferry from Shute Harbour to HI in order for me to check in for the flight. Can anyone advise on this and if not, can they recommend any cruises that depart around midday on a Tuesday (can't do early morning) and finish on a Thursday in time for me to catch a ferry to HI the same day?

Many thanks Nicky

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
386 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Hi Nicky,

Can't give you specifics, but there will def be a ferry service timed to get you to the airport in time for your morning flight, as I am sure that all flights to/from HI airport are matched to ferry transfers. I cannot see anyway that Cruise Whitsundays will stop offering this service. Hopefully this "bump" will get you a more specific answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Thanks for your help. I have now contacted the ferry company and they have confirmed that the new company will pick up existing bokings so hopefully won't be stranded!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Don't bother flying from or into Hamilton Island unless you're staying there - if heading to/from Airlie always go via Proserpine Airport instead - it's way cheaper, transfers from the airport are around $30 and doesn't involve the long (and extortionate) herded trog to HTI from Abel Point/Shute Harbour. We learned this a long time ago - I've been visiting the area for 20 years-ish.

Edited: 7:18 am, June 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,136 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Mankiwi.....

please suggest who Op can fly with at a cheaper rate from prosy to Cairns?

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

I've just booked an extended trip around Oz for August. This time we're taking the train from Cairns to Airlie Beach (623kms, 11hrs, coach transfer from Proserpine to Airlie Beach - great leisurely way to travel - on a USave ticket for $100 each - total bargain) - Otherwise we've always flown into Proserpine from Brisbane or Sydney - I stopped flying into HTI because of the daft costs on transfers a long time ago. For the trip Cairns to Airlie I'm going to take the train from now on - not sure which operators fly Cairns > Proserpine direct, sorry - I'd rather rail-it - Anyhow, as the saying goes, arriving at your destination is only a small part of the adventure in getting there, eh? ;)x

Edited: 7:34 am, June 22, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

Hi all,

Just got off the phone to Cruise Whitsundays and they have confirmed that they will be meeting that flight, so don't worry. Since your trip is not until November, you have the luxury of time and you'll be able to wait until the new timetable is released.

ETA for new timetable and pricing is mid-July, as this is when the official handover from Fantasea is due to be complete.

Hang tight, it will all work out ok in the end!

TW

7. Re: Getting from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 28, 2013