We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

Miami
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

I am planning to honeymoon in Australia for 3 weeks in April. The first two weeks will be spent in Sydney and the Margeret River, with the 3d week in the Whitsundays, for diving, spa treatments and R&R. We have traveled all over SE Asia and love the Banyan Tree and Aman resorts of Thailand and Bali -- they are truly 5-star. However, the reviews I read of Hayman, Lizard, Heron & Badurra islands made them sound very meager in comparison! What is the Australian version of Aman Resorts? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

australia doesn't really offer those kinds of resorts (or not very many of them that i know of). resorts in australia (and particually on the reef )are geared towards doing active things on boats and the beach, and enjoying the amazing natural wonders.

London
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

We also love the Banyan Tree and will be going to the Whitsundays on honeymoon in March next year. We are potentially going to stay at the Beach Club on Hamilton Island. I've read some really good reviews and it's supposed to be quite a boutique type spa hotel. Has anyone else stayed there and what did you think of it?

Melbourne...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

My suggestion to you would be either go for Bedarra or Lizard Islands for truly 5 star service and luxury. Another thing you might like to think about is Silky Oaks Lodge or Peppers Bloomfield lodge. Silky Oaks is on the mainland and it is easily accesable to the reef as well as not being so restricted on an island with no where to go. Peppers is very secluded only accesable by boat or charter flight

So keep in mind mainland resorts as there are some great ones.

Hope this is helpful.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

We are also honeymooning early next year (in March). Our ultimate would be Bedarra. Pay one price and get treated like a celebrity - eg. phone at 3am and ask for a hamburger with a cosmopolitan ... and you get it!!! Prices for one night equal our entire 7 night budget, but hey ... maybe some day! The other islands you mentioned all have their pros and cons ... Daydream Island has a day spa.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

I don't know if you want to go so far north, but there's an Angsana Spa in Palm Cove. It's 5 star, very expensive and has won a few awards:

* 2005 Voted by H.M. Magazine as Australia's 'Hotel Spa of the Year'

* 2005 Voted by Conde Nast Traveller (UK): Readers' Spa Awards - Second Best Overseas Hotel Spa in Australasia & South Pacific

* 2005 Voted by Conde Nast Traveller (UK): Readers' Spa Awards - Top 25th Best Spa in the World

* 2005 Voted by Luxury Travel Magazine: Gold List - Third Best Australian Spa Resort

http://www.angsana.com/gbr/suite/suite.htm

Accrington, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxury AU spa resort for honeymoon?

Hi,

I went to the Whitsunday Islands in Januray this year and had an amazing time. We hired a bareback charter catamaran and sailed round all of the islands for a full week, that was truly fantastic as we decided our itinerary the very day we woke and had on most occaisions the whole beach to ourselves - I would recommend this for honey mooners as you have your accomodation all to yourself!!!! One of the best Islands that we visited was Daydream Island where you can stay in the hotel accomodation or like we did, moored up overnight. This has a spa and a little cove aptly named "lovers cove" where the snorkelling is great - the fish are really tame. Other islands include Hayman Island, I think if I can remember correctly, this is a private island, so reservations have to be made well in advance and Lizard Island. If you want something a little busier try Hamilton Island, there is a large hotel complex on there, so I'm sure there will be spa facilities and apartments that you can also rent. There are also pleanty of bars and restaurants on the island.

Have a fantastic time.

Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands