We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great barrier reef or fiji???

Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
great barrier reef or fiji???

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the double post - previous post was meant to be titled 'great barrier reef', not just 'whitsundays'.

If you haven't read the previous post...My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon (we are from melbourne) and are wondering whether we should go north to the great barrier reef (ie either whitsundays or port douglas) or overseas to fiji. having been to neither before, and reading about the beauty of each, it's difficult to make a decision.

Would love to hear what others think. Basically, we just want a nice relaxing holiday by a beach. Only have a one week in total as we both need to come back to work.

Thanks in advance

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: great barrier reef or fiji???

Hi Lethal,

My husband and i went to fiji last year for our honeymoon and loved it. We found the islands were a lot prettier (beaches) and more romantic than the main land. We stayed at Tokoriki Island resort and loved it (private and romantic) candle lit dinners every night. We stayed at the Outrigger on the mainland which was also lovely but more for families. We also went on the captain Cook Cruise which was not romantic at all be great if you want to see and do a lot.

We have also stayed at Linderman island in the whitsundays. We loved it but again it wasn't very romantic as you have to share a table with groups of people every night. We are going back to the whitsundays in Jan 06 and stay at peppers palm bay which looks very romantic.

You have a tough choice to make but you will have a great time at either place. Make sure that the time of year you are going there is good weather and that the place you are staying at meets your needs.

Good luck choosing!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,094 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: great barrier reef or fiji???

One of the key factors in your decision making may very well be your budget..IMHO our top end resorts are better than Fiji but if you are looking to "do it on the cheap" then Fiji would probably be better choice.

Having dived and snorkelled around the world I dont think you can beat the reef or Aus food but...the dollars are the big consideration...

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: great barrier reef or fiji???

Hi lethal

My husband and I were married 8 years ago on Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays - and then had our honeymoon in Fiji.

I have to say that Fiji was really disappointing after Hamilton.

We found Fiji to be pretty third world like- except in the big resorts. The food where we stayed was awful. I think our biggest mistake was staying on the coral coast. We had to hire a car because all of the Island tours are near the airport and fancy hotels (They are over ahlf an hour drive away).

The airport is tiny and run down, and the bus trip to our resort was reaaally long because they stop at every hotel on the way and back track the other way before heading to the Coral coast.

We went in October, and it seemed that it was always windy on the coral coast, and the beach was closed for several days. The other side of the island seemed to have better weather!!

Before we booked in Fiji someone warned us it was pretty dull, if the weather is bad there is really nothing to do. Suva is dirty and a bit like Bali was 10 years ago, but with less friendly people and horrible beaches. Also the snorkling didn't come close to comparing to the Whitsundays.

On the other hand Hamilton Island was exciting and luxurious. It was expensive, but if you have only got a week you can live it up without it costing too much. Also there are a lot of activities, without a long drive or bus trip to get there.

I would hate someone to have a crap honeymoon like we did in Fiji, so if you decide to go there I highly recommend staying 5 star, and remember the place is full of New Zealanders!!

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands