We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

Which Lizard Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Topic
Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

I'm trying to decide between Lizard, Orpheus, or staying in Port Douglas and doing some day trips to snorkel.

From scanning these boards, I see that Orpheus and Lizard have about the same quality food, Lizard has nicer rooms, Orpheus has better personal service, etc. One thing I don't see compared is the snorkeling. How does it compare? And how does that compare with day trips from Port Douglas? I care mostly about snorkeling, but recommendations on diving are welcome too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

Have been to both Lizard (last year) and Orpheus (5 years ago).

Lizard has better snorkelling - off the beach and at the many secluded coves you can access in a dinghy. Nice corals and great marine life. You can dive or snorkel Cod Hole (full day trip weather permitting) and it's a great experience. We dived in and immediately saw a reef shark, cods were all there and just amazing. Lizard dive staff were great - very organised and friendly.

I haven't done any day trips from Port Douglas so can't comment.

Both Lizard and Orpheus are lovely resorts and have their strengths and weakneses as you've articulated above but for snorkelling Lizard IMHO is the best.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

Ooops I thought i answered this the other day!

Jodie is spot on.

I have done day trips also from port D and as far as accom etc you wont find anything to comapre with Lizard and orpheous on the mainland.

By the time you add daytrips you'll end up spending almost as much for way less time on the reef and not have the beauty of snorkelling without others splashing around.

Stayed in lizard but not on orpheous...i heard a report a few days back that orpheous is not as good as it used to be but...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

Lizard has good snorkeling as the reef starts at the beach. Outer reefs are close by and easily and quickly reached by boat for diving or snorkeling. With Port Douglas you will spend a lot of time going back and forth to the reef. The benefit with Lizard is that it is at your doorstep. If you are visiting during the winter months you will need a wet suit which Lizard will provide you with. It's also a good bet during the winter as it is somewhat warmer since it's the most northern barrier reef island.

4. Re: Lizard snorkeling vs orpheus snorkeling vs day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:36 am, November 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lizard Island