We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heron island with a 18mnth old?

sydney australia
12 posts
Save Topic
heron island with a 18mnth old?

Hi, some advise please from people who have been there

we are considering heron island or lady elliott island for a holiday in March 07, we will be travelling with our 18mnth old toddler

will it be a suitable place for him? anyone had experience with taking young kids? do they do babysitting so that we can go snorkelling?

any advice much appreciated thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
110 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heron island with a 18mnth old?

Hello,

We were at Heron a few years back. We don't have toddlers now, but did a "awhile" ago. Would NOT recommend taking a toddler. The place is not set up for kids younger than twelve. Lots of unpleasant things for them to get into such as ground nesting birds and their nests (which are EVERYWHERE), many bugs, large and small, easy, uncontrolled access to the ocean, etc. etc.

Alex and Gina

minnesota
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heron island with a 18mnth old?

We loved snorkeling/diving at Heron Island, but I think it would be a horrible place for a young child. The pool is icky, and there are birds and bird poop everywhere. I don't really know what people with kids do there - when we were there, we felt bad for all the people there that had children with them! I think it is definitely more of an adult experience.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heron island with a 18mnth old?

Whereas I tend to agree that it would be difficult with a child of 18mths there, they do apparently have a kids club in the Australian school holidays. A child in my class went there with her three brothers and sisters for a week and loved every minute of the stay.

In my experience, nowhere is easy with a kid that age. I am so glad mine are grown up and I can enjoy holidays again. But I have been told Fiji is good for little ones.

4. Re: heron island with a 18mnth old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 26, 2009