We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heron Island in November/December

JCR
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heron Island in November/December

We are planning a visit in Nov/Dec and hope to snorkel...is there a high risk of Box Jelly Fish??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,745 posts
1,768 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi,

November and December is Stinger Season. Just wear a stinger suit and you will be okay. The Resort will give you all appropriate information and advice.

www.marinestingers.com.au

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heron Island in November/December

We've visited the island twice, mid November 2007 and early December 2009 and didn't have any problems with box jelly fish on either occasion. On arrival at the island, they'll give you a little pep talk on what and what not to do, including what you shouldn't touch when snorkelling. It's a magical island, enjoy !

Alison

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi there,

I'm also planning a 7 day trip to Heron Island in end of November for my honeymoon. Is the stinger factor a massive turn off? Would this mean that I will have to wear stinger suits at all time when entering the water? I'm currently tossing up whether to go to Heron or just go overseas like Thailand or Bali.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Heron Island Resort
Heron Island Resort
1,797 Reviews
Heron Island, Australia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi nianee15,

Please don't let it put you off. As I said in my earlier post, we have been twice, end of November 2007 and beginning of December 2009. On neither occasion did we see any jellyfish or have any problems whilst we were there. We didn't wear stinger suits and neither did anyone else on the island whilst we were there. This included snorkelling on the house reef and also on the snorkel trips to the edge of the drop off. Please, please don't let the previous reviewer put you off going, Heron Island is truly a megical little island which we can't wait to return to.

Alison

Mentioned in this post
Heron Island Resort
Heron Island Resort
1,797 Reviews
Heron Island, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much for your reply! You honestly have convinced us to stick with our plans to travel to Heron Island for our honeymoon. Quick question - we were thinking of staying for 6 nights - will that be enough to see the whole island thoroughly and do all the activities etc?

Thanks again,

Nia

Mentioned in this post
Heron Island Resort
Heron Island Resort
1,797 Reviews
Heron Island, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much for your reply! You honestly have convinced us to stick with our plans to travel to Heron Island for our honeymoon. Quick question - we were thinking of staying for 6 nights - will that be enough to see the whole island thoroughly and do all the activities etc?

Thanks again,

Nia

Mentioned in this post
Heron Island Resort
Heron Island Resort
1,797 Reviews
Heron Island, Australia
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi Nia,

I'm so glad you're not changing your plans, I'm sure you will love it. I think 6 nights would be fine for your stay. We did 5 nights each time we went which was long enough to do everything we wanted (pure relaxation with a bit of snorkelling) but I could have cheerfully stayed for longer. To be fair, if I was stranded there for a lifetime, I'd be happy. I don't know what sort of things you're into, but the reef walks are great - I would suggest that you go once with the guide and then do it yourself. That way, you know exactly what not to touch, but also the best places to find the things you want to see.

I can't post on here without mentioning the turtles. You should see them laying their eggs at the time you're going. Depending on the tide times, you may need to stay up late or set your alarm to get up in the middle of the night or early in the morning. Don't know if they still do it, but some of the staff used to organise a talk and a little tour in the middle of the night when they come up the beach to lay their eggs. It sounds silly, and I know getting up in the middle of the night whilst on holiday is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's something you should do at least once during your holiday. Absolutely amazing and an experience that I will never forget as long as I live. I can't wait to return, the only problem is, it's a long way for us :-(

I'm sure you will love it. Can't wait to read your review to see what you think.

Alison

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Thanks again Alison!

Will definitely remember all your handy tips for our coming trip. We're so open to do or try anything! We're keen snorkellers but was also thinking about doing an introductory diving course whilst there. Turtles sound amazing and we definitely wouldn't miss that, especially over sleep. You've totally convinced my fiancé and I to go!! We love anything with wildlife and the idea of being stuck on this island surrounded by abundance of reef and wildlife, there's nothing better!

One other question - what are the beach activities like? Does the resort provide paddle boards etc? Also we were thinking of staying in either the Point or Wistari suite - worth the money?

Thanks again - you've been so helpful!

Cheers

Nia

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Hi Nia,

We can't remember there being any beach activities. That's not to say there weren't any, we may not have noticied. Having said that, we've just looked through our photos and we can't see anyone else on paddle boards etc.

We've stayed in the turtle room and reef room. Both were fairly basic, but we couldn't fault either of them. The turtle rooms are all in the middle of the island from memory, only a very short walk to the beach, but it does mean that you miss out on the beach and sea views from your veranda.

The point and wistari suites do look fabulous. So wish we were going again this year, but we're heading back to the Maldives where we visited 3 years ago on our honeymoon. Can't do everything, but there's always next year !

Alison

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heron Island in November/December

Thank you Alison!

We have decided to just go ahead & book one of the suite rooms as it is our honeymoon so the more reason to upgrade :) Plus, the price difference between the reef and point rooms are not that much!

It doesn't bother us too much that there are no beach activities. As long as we can soak up the sun and snorkel, that is more than enough. Thanks again for all your help! Will post my review when I come back in November!

Nia