We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling

Which Green Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling

Anyone know if you can snorkel off the beach at Green Island? If so, is it good?

Cheers!

melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkeling

Green Island is great. Check out my review, Green Island, A Tropical Treat. It's really worth a visit.

Di

melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkeling

Last year when we visited Cairns we did a day trip to Green Island. Perfect for adults and children to snorkel and play, we decided to "lash out" this year and spend a night at the Resort. We found the best discount rates on wotif and booked our first night at the Hides Hotel (FANTASTIC budget accommodation) and left for GI on the 10:30 catamaran the following day.

The kids were soooo excited, we were VIP's, the gold stickers on our chest said so! The staff treated us like royalty from the moment we arrived and nothing and I mean nothing was too much trouble (one staff member, Tara, gave me money to ring my elderly mother after she had rung several times and we'd been off somewhere having fun). We were allowed into our room at 11:30 am and soon our bags magically arrived. We quickly unpacked and explored our surroundings. The resort is environmentally friendly(as best you can be) and is lush. In the resort you don't even realise there are hundreds of people on the Island with you. They offer pool/beach towels, a private pool, shared resort room with x box, tv with dvd's and videos, reading material including newspapers and tea and coffee available all day. Then of course you have use of canoes, wave surfers, umbrellas and chairs or you can visit the observatory or go on the glass bottom boat, all at no extra cost. Snorkelling equipment is free too! Marineland Malanesia is an extra cost but well worth a visit if not only for the fact that it is the only family run business on the island and has been there since 1971. It also has some wonderful PNG and other island artefacts, aquariums, turtles, scrimshaw carvings and you can get really close to BIG crocs.

After 4:30 all the day trippers leave and they're gone until 9:30 the following day. Then the Island is all yours. At 5:00 the staff take you to "fish feeding" on the pier which is just amazing. And then at 5:30 you are treated to champagne, beer, wine or juice at the restaurant or beach. Dinner isn't cheap but again you are treated so well and the food is yummy. When 9:30 rolled around it was time for our guided rainforest walk. Once more the staff were great and always happy. Emma shared all kinds of interesting information about trees and bats and then we went crab spotting on the beach. After this the kids happily went to bed and slept like logs.

Best thing is that you don't have to leave the Island until the last boat at 4:30 if you don't want to and you have full use of the resort for the day!

When we got back to the mainland after our first stay we quickly got on wotif again and booked our last night back at Green Island. We were not disappointed the second time either, with the resort and the staff. Only the weather let us down but who cares, we were in paradise and we got to swim with BIG fish, SCHOOLS of fish, turtles, rays, corals and we even got up close and personal with a clownfish family (yes, we found NEMO!).

Green Island Resort was huge part of our fabulous Carins adventure and we're going back again!

Most of the people at the Resort were from overseas so I guess the exchange rate makes it good value for them but the way my Aussie eyes look at it is that transfers to the Island are $150, umbrellas $25, raincoats $5 (yes we did need them) lockers $4 (for you must have stuff after 10:00 checkout and we had 2) tea and coffee? (we liked ours by the pool), observatory $5, Glass bottom boat ?, use of all non motorised equipment $$$$ etc etc add on our guided activities that only guests are privy to and the magical sunrise/sunset...........then I reckon accommodation is almost free!

We spent our before and after nights at the Club Crocodile Hides Hotel which I cannot speak highly enough of either. It is by far the best bargain accommodation I have ever had and it's GREAT! Prices start at $35 per person including a light evening meal and breakfast! The staff are really obliging here too.

I could go on and on forever about how much fun we had but most people would have lost interest by now so my last words are ..........GO TO CAIRNS AND GO TO GREEN ISLAND RESORT!

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkeling

I don't know about Green Island, but just returned from Lady Elliot island last week and had a wonderful time snorkelling up there.

The resort is basic, but comfortable. There are no TV's and phones in the rooms, but there is a phone and TV in a communal area that gets mainland reception.

Most importantly, the gift shop sold kwells!

Now for the snorkelling. The island is surrounded by coral reef, so regardless of the winds / weather, you can snorkel comfortably. The Eastern side of the island is a hip to chest deep lagoon (I'm 5ft2) at high tide. At low tide it is suitable for reef walking. There were thousands of fish in there and it was literally 10m from the room. Fish we spotted include clownfish, butterflies (at least 10 species), baby rock cods, damsels, rabbitfish, sea mullet, sweetlip, sargents, gobies, blennies and wrases. We also spotted morays, stingrays, turtles in there.

On the west side, there is about a 20m swim across the bommie tops to the start of the good bits. The bommies give rise to 5-10m crevices in which we found parrotfish, rabbitfish, adult wrasses, coral cods, trouts a potato cod, tuskfish, adult butterflies and angles huge schools of chromis, trevally, sea mullets and many other fish. We swam with turtles pretty much everytime we got in there and saw a wide range of corals. We even found a few reef sharks and had a "close encounter" with a humpback on the west side.

So if you are looking for a great snorkelling holiday, would definately recommend Lady Elliot Island as an option.