We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facilities on the island

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Facilities on the island

Just wondering what facilities are on the island such as supermarkets, other shops, restaurants / take away, doctors etc

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Facilities on the island

www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/faq.html

Eurong beach has a small supermarket, bakery and pub. That's it.

Kinfischer Resort has a few restaurants a small supermarket/souviner shop.

Not sure if they have a DR at Kingfisher.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Facilities on the island

u forgot this little gem, hami

http://www.orchidbeachrentals.com/store.htm

also found this on one FI site:

"There is no pharmacy or resident doctor, although a Queensland Ambulance Service station operates from Happy Valley during peak visitor periods and an air ambulance is available for emergencies"

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Facilities on the island

in short, don't expect much in facilities, bring as much as you can with you.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Facilities on the island

And also - realise this is a REMOTE location - all visitors to the island (whether domestic or international) should carry adequate travel insurance.

Rob

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Facilities on the island

As all have stated, there are a few facilities, minor at best, and as Rob said, although well visited, I'ts REMOTE, and adding to Rob's comment on insurances, also take a full wallet or credit card, things aren't cheap, especially repairs, let alone getting towed or having to be transported off the island.

@Rob, the tracks must have settled, any word?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Facilities on the island

Hi Rob & all visitors,

With all the rain and storms the island was closed for 4 days. This has given National Parks some much needed breathing space to fix some tracks and ensure the tracks are all clear. Things have improved a LOT, with the rain finally packing down the sand and easing driving conditions. With peak holiday season past it will allow National Parks to now spend time fixing the tracks that have been cut up due to a long dry summer.

Whilst conditions are hugely improved by the rain, it will likely take a month or more for Parks to get around and repair all that is needed to be done.

Luckily no enduring damage done by the storm, and tours are now back up and running as per normal (possibility of a few minor variations to itineraries for the next week or 2).

Cheers,

Rob

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Facilities on the island

Thanks Rob, I was watching your area and where my family live north of Bris with great interest, you guys did cop a flogging. And thankfully you are all OK, although north of you didn't fair to well. But the tracks on Fraser should settle, which will be great for those who are visiting in the off season. I might still see if I can get up this year :o)

Thanks again Rob for the update, cheers

adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Facilities on the island

Just another question, anyone know of a place that offers laundry facilities on the island?

Oz
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Facilities on the island

Hi,

There are various fresh water springs that cross the beach. Simply take you clothes down to the waters edge and beat tham with a rock. Seeing Frazer Island is the world's largest sand island you will have to take your own rock.

The other alternative is to use the laundromat between the Golden Archs and the Cinema comple, or you could stay at Kingfisher Lodge and have them do your laundry for you. Beware though last time I was there they used too much starch and made my blue singlet unwearable. It made a great "priest' for Spanish Mackeral though.

Cheers,

Edited: 1:55 am, April 04, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Facilities on the island

Good one OZ, Jaycee, the only places I know that have laundry services are guest laundries at the accommodation places.

You should do what we do, if we stay 3 or 4 days we do nothing, any longer we go for swim in the fresh water lakes or creeks fully clothed, works for us, and we've been there for stretches of more than 2 weeks :o))

Edited: 5:58 am, April 04, 2013