We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

would a hyundai tuscon AWD cope on fraser island?

would be accompanied by a landcruiser so there is something to pull it out of trouble.

what do people reckon?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,572 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Short answer is "no"

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

what's the long answer?

tuscon has 20 cm clearance.

with lowered tyre pressure for driving.

not looking at taking it deep in land. just southern end.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Even though you mention you will stay around the southern end of Fraser Island, there is much soft sand firstly to get onto the barge, and then Hook Point (southern end) is also soft sand. Its not the beach you need to worry about, its the entries.

I have seen many 2WD drives on the beach - its very hard at low tide and causes little problem.

Even if you have a Landcruiser to pull you out, it can be difficult pulling a bogged vehicle out of soft sand.

At the end of the day, you could go and have no trouble, or you could be badly bogged and need recovery.

I have been to Fraser Island about 20 times, so I know the area well.

If you intend on going, tyre pressure down to at least 18 and keep your forward momentum at maximum. If there has been recent rain, this will also assist the sand being harder for you. Good luck.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Hi,

Short answer is NO!

If you don't like the advice you are given don't ask for it. If you have to ask you don't have the skills and experience to make an informed decision nor the skills and experience to get out of trouble should it occur. Please post a vid on "you tube" of the trip.

Cheers,

Edited: 3:58 pm, September 11, 2012
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

yes great!

while u r bogged in the soft sand track getting pulled out by the land cruiser, those that know their business on the island have to sit lined up behind u waiting.

have some considertion!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Hi al t,

Like Stephen, I have also seen 2WD's and AWD's on Fraser Island, but rarely do the 2WD's get any further than the eastern beach and the AWD's do have troubles on the tracks. An AWD is similar to a 4WD full time, but what you find is most AWD's don't have the chassis clearance most 4WD's have.

This clearance difference becomes a major problem on the Fraser tracks, where the higher 4WD's can digout ruts much deeper than 20cm and rip up the entry points. You say you will stick to the southern parts, if Hook Point is unpassable you'll have no other option than going up the inland track.

Stephen raises very good points, and if you are prepared you could be OK.

The only other thing I would advise, take a snatch strap. Most 4WD drivers don't mind helping someone out who is bogged, but the first thing most will ask, do you have snatch strap. I have seen many snatch strap get damaged trying to get someone out from being bogged leaving the owner with a faulty snatch strap, leaving an unhappy owner.

What you need to assist you is rain before you go and a quiter time, by the way when are you going.

Safe travels - Robert

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Hi Al,

At present, with no rain for 7 weeks, the island is VERY dry. The sand is super soft and the holes in the tracks are very deep. I had people staying here a few weeks back with a brand new Landcruiser that went to the island ... the Landcruiser is still in the shop waiting for parts .. if you do go, you might be ok going on at Hook Pt and staying on the eastern beach - but I would not attempt going inland in an AWD at present.

Rob

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

hi OZRCFLYER

anyone who is given the "short answer no " would ask "why not".

it's not a question of not liking advice (which I don't consider a "no" as advice) though I appreciate the input of Nozzie.

" If you have to ask you don't have the skills and experience to make an informed decision nor the skills and experience to get out of trouble should it occur." - isn't an informed decision arrived at by asking questions and researching? like asking at anon-line forum.

If you were to go to a bank and ask for a loan and the bank said "short answer -no" then wouldn't your next question be "why?". or would that show your lack of skill and experience to make an informed decision".

basically your response was useless. it provided no detail, no explanation of why a Tuscon would be inappropriate (in terms of its mechanical features or lack or the current conditions of the area I intend to visit) no justification of response, or anything that contributed to a meaningful enquiry.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

Hi,

What part of the word no are you having trouble with?

Cheers,

10. Re: hyundai tuscon awd - would it cope?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 17, 2013