We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Which Fraser Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Just got back last night from the Dropbear Adventures tour booked through Flashpackers Hervey Bay and I can't understand why anyone would book with any other company. Mark is the BEST guide you could ask for, and after seeing some of the other tour groups while we were on Fraser Island, we were even more happy with our decision to book with them.

The package offered by Flashpackers (you can book it at Hervey Bay or Noosa), was absolutely perfect for us. There are no other tours that will let you do a night (or however many you want) in Hervey Bay and then actually get dropped off for the night after the tour (or vice versa) in Noosa, so not only did we save time and money by not having to book a bus to/from or leave an unused car rental while we were on the island, but we got to stay in two amazing accomodations on either end and also get from A to B with seeing everything in the middle.

Our group was particularly lucky since the weather was not supposed to be very good and many people had cancelled their tours, so we ended up with just 5 people and Mark as the guide all in one vehicle. This allowed us to see almost everything on the island (including Lake Allom, Basin Lake, the west side of the island... and some more spots that the majority of tour operators don't go to). The big buses would not have even been able to make it over to the west side of the island, and it takes a lot of time to get from one point to another, so we were just cruising along since Mark is a very skilled 4x4 driver and we didn't even have to wait for the others in our "tag along" tour to catch up since we were all in one car. We all got the opportunity to drive it ourselves as well, but there were some pretty tricky spots since there had been a lot of rain, so I was very glad to have someone like Mark behind the wheel.

We ended up staying at Base Hostel (Hannah who runs it is also awesome and we were grateful that Mark organized this for us since it was really rainy at night and camping would have been no fun). It was really nice that he made this call with lots of time to spare - some of the other camping groups were out the first night we were there and all ran straight to Base for their second night when the rain had just been too much.

The sights were of course amazing as you will know by reading any review of Fraser Island (especially when no one is around and you have Lake Wabby all to yourselves!), but Mark, Dropbear Adventures, and also Flashpackers for their perfect nice rooms on either end of the trip, are what made this top the list of things we've done here in Australia. Could not ask for a better guide, better food (we ate like kings!), or a more comfortable way to get around the island (soooo glad we did not book one of the big bus tours once we actually saw them - people were in and out so quick and did not seem to get any time to actually appreciate the sights, plus wayyy too many people all in one spot).

The whole experience felt more like we were hanging out for a few days on the island with a friend that had been there and knew all the ins and outs than being on a tour - so glad we got the chance to do this and can't recommend Dropbear enough!

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Hi - what a great review. I don't think this company has a listing on TripAdvisor but if you'd like to make your review permanent to help other travellers (this post will get 'lost' within a couple of days) here's TA's help page:-

tripadvisor.com/help/what_if_i_want_to_revie…

You could just copy and paste what you've just written.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,841 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Hi J9ie,

Seems like forever since you posted last September, and I'm so pleased that your Fraser Island experience worked out so well. As Sunbird states it would be great to do review on Dropbears here, also can you do a review on Flashpackers web site about Dropbears. I remember how difficult it was to get a review on the tours that leave from Noosa Flashpackers to Fraser Island.

Safe traves - Robert

London
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Hey,

Just a response to this thread about Dropbears...

We did the Dropbear Adventures tour of Fraser Island in March 2012, and for us this tour was one of the highlights of our 6 week Australia Trip. We decided to go on it following a recommendation, so we started in Hervey Bay and travelled down to Noosa. In between we spent 3 days on Fraser Island, went to rainbow beach, and even stopped off to see some wild Kangaroos. Highlights for us were Lake Wabby, Lake McKenzie, Indian Head and Eli Creek.

The tour of Fraser Island was fantastic. We were a mixed group of 9 people (mid-20s to early 30s) meaning it was one of the smallest tours on the island. To get the most out of Fraser island I think having a small group is best, as when we reached many of the sights (and there are a lot!) you have them to yourself. We noticed some of the bigger tour companies looking a bit overcrowded.

Mark (our guide) approach the trip on Fraser Island was amazing, he's been coming to Fraser all his life, so he was a very 'real' tour guide, and his knowledge of Fraser was outstanding. The trip was more like a group of people camping, hanging out in the evenings, and doing stuff in the day, and if you wanted to chip in and help out that was very welcomed by Mark, if you didn't that was cool too. Everyone on our tour got involved, which meant that people gelled and interacted a bit better. Marks cooking was pretty incredible, and the equiptment was all very good and modern.

Finally, everyone who wanted to drive one of the SUVs on the trip got a chance to, both off-road and on the beach, meaning this was a really unique experience. Anyway, I can't recommend this trip enough.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,841 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Hi LondonDiarmuid,

Thanks for your report on these two companies, sounds like you had a blast. This report will assist others in deciding which tour to Fraser Island would be suitable for them. Like J9ie's report I will keep these reports to show others when they are deciding.

Cheers

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
774 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Yes, I can't recommend these guys enough (and also the perfect way to get from Hervey Bay to Noosa and vice versa). I tried to add them as a tour company to post it somewhere there, but TA wouldn't let me. Hopefully people can continue to add things to this though! There also might be the odd comment on them under Flashpackers Hervey Bay/Noosa. I tried so hard to find info on them before we left and in the end just winged it, but so glad we did!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,841 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Hi J9ie, I remember very well the problems you had trying to find a tour. And considering I always drive Fraser Is and I'm supposedly the DE for Fraser Is I can't make recommendations on tours, just what to see and do. So I have your reports stored in my favourites for future recommendations.

Cheers Rob

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

My fiance and I found these guys via Trip Advisor and booked the Fraser Island tour from Noosa a few weeks in advance (although that wasn’t necessary – some people in our group booked the day before).

The whole trip was great; it was really good value for money . .Jake (the guide) was fantastic; he was really knowledgeable about the island, and took our group to all sorts of cool place away from the overly busy tourist hotspots.

The whole company was really helpful with our arrangements – we had to come back slightly early to catch a flight – and the food was excellent. We were warned by other people that the other Fraser Island trips often only provided pretty bad food, and not much of it....which isn’t great when you’re hiking and swimming all day. With these guys, we had huge, really tasty meals.

We got to see all the interesting stuff on the island, had loads of driving time in the 4x4, learnt how to properly throw boomerangs and won a karaoke/ dancing competition. Totally recommend them.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

Thanks for the recommendation - filing it in my Fraser Is info.

9. Re: Dropbear Adventures / Flashtracker Tour - the BEST!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 15, 2013