We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are some reefs much better than others?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Are some reefs much better than others?

We'll be in Cairns in July, looking at Great Barrier Reef day trips. I've looked at a lot of other forum posts and lots of reviews, most companies seem very highly rated. I've narrowed it down to Seastar or Reef Daytripper, my wife loves sailing\yachts so is keen for Reef Daytripper, it is slower so doesn't seem to go out as far from Cairns, but it's also cheaper. Is Upolu Reef just as good as any other reef? Or would we see more fish etc at Michaelmas Cay and Hastings Reef? I wear glasses so one bonus of Seastar is they have optical masks, Reef Daytripper don't mention that.

Or are there better options? 2 adults, good swimmers, no interest in diving.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are some reefs much better than others?

difficult question to answer because on any given day prevailing weather conditions can affect what you see and how " good" a site is

Ruleof thumb is that the further from the coast (fringing reef excepted) the better the quality of the location

it also boils down to the style of trip you want…

both are relatively small so that isn't a big factor

but for mew the 2 sites increases the likelihood of one good one

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are some reefs much better than others?

With all reef trips, you gets what you pays for. If it's cheaper, there's a reason.

I've not done the other one, but Seastar was outstanding.

It depends on your interests and inclinations. I went out on a cheaper, larger boat (on "special") when I couldn't get a booking on Seastar and just hated it. Crowded, noisy, poor reefs, crap food. Mentioned that here and a woman and her daughter went out on the same boat and loved it. Horses for courses.

I figure you've paid a bit to get there so may as well have an optimum experience.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are some reefs much better than others?

Thanks. So if the 2 companies both have really good reviews, we *might* see "better"\more marine life with Seastar because they go further out? I'm also learning towards Seastar because 1.5hrs each way on a boat sounds a lot better to me than 2-2.5hrs each way.

I thought there might be a site that has a list of the main reefs and what you might see at each.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are some reefs much better than others?

I still haven't managed to find a site that compares different "reefs", so I think I'll just book with Seastar, I'm sure the high ratings take into account what you actually see, rather than just the boat and crew. Does anyone know if any super awesome marine life can only be seen at certain sites?

5. Re: Are some reefs much better than others?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 06, 2015