We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island stay or Carins/Port Dogulus stay?

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Island stay or Carins/Port Dogulus stay?

We'll be in GBR in mid June. We are thinking of staying there for 3 full days, 4 nights. We will arrive late Tuesday and leave either mid/late Saturday.

We are debating with a couple of options.

1. Stay at the Fitzroy Island (suggestion for any other not expensive islands?)

2. Stay at Port Dogulus or Carins? Take a day tour to Fitzroy Island or any other island day tour, take Quick Silver day tour to and so on.

We like to snorkel in shallow water, Reef walking and take the tour of the GBR (by plane?)

I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island stay or Carins/Port Dogulus stay?

My preference would be to stay in Port Douglas. Make sure you take a day and visit the Daintree and Cape Tribulation. Multiple boats from Port Douglas will take you out to the outer reef to dive or snorkel. I also really enjoy the trip to the Low Isles from Port Douglas, snorkel off shore, more soft coral than the outer reef so quite different.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island stay or Carins/Port Dogulus stay?

I like Port Dogulas ;} but I think you will find more info under Port Douglas!

Re shallow water snorkelling- when you are on the reef, the main parts you swim over are shallow- then there are the drop offs into the big blue. Thats when I get the rush when the reef just drops away ...!

However, I think the coral is far superior in the outer reef. I also think on the Low Isles trip that you do waste a fair amount of time getting to and fro the boat for lunch etc. Its a much smaller area for snorkelling as well.

As the above post says at the outer reef you see those beautiful soft corals that look like rugs - amazing.

If you are going to Fitzroy for a day then I would say stay at Cairns. Otherwise PD or Palm Cove are nicer /laid back locations.

3. Re: Island stay or Carins/Port Dogulus stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 31, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef