We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday with teens in August

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Family holiday with teens in August

We are travelling from England with our 13 and 15 year old girls to see family in Sydney in August and want to spend 5 nights up seeing the GBR. Where is best to stay? What's PD like? Daintree rainforest sounds great. We want to experience all we can and relax too.

Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday with teens in August

Hmm, that's tricky. I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers.

From our experience, I would fly to a central location like Cairns or the Whitsundays and take some trips from there. Absolutely get out on the reef overnight, either do a boating excursion, or stay on Heron or Lady Elliott island for 2 nights if you can afford it.

Driving will take too much time away from your actual enjoyment of the reef.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family holiday with teens in August

PD has a holiday feel. lots of good restaurants, accommo and a reasonable beach. all the attractions of the area are accessible from there by tour or rental car.

cairns is city and while tourist orienated i think your girls are too young for 'the action'

plus there is no beach in cairns.

the whitsundays are expensive (and have a resort feel) and the is much less to do 'landside' after the obligatory reef trip.

Edited: 3:29 pm, January 05, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,890 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday with teens in August

I'd be going well north. Pool options in the Whits in August are a bit cool.

Port Douglas is a good choice but also look at Palm Cove and some of the northern beaches of Cairns.

4. Re: Family holiday with teens in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef