We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BigFishLittleFish

SLC
5 posts
Save Topic
BigFishLittleFish

I am trying to book my live aboard with Prodive, but I noticed it does not allow an option to book for a single person (I am traveling alone). I have tried calling the number listed on their web site using international codes without any luck. Do you have any suggestions? I have emailed them, but would love to speak to someone personally. Do you know if any other certification is required above open water certifictaion for any of the dives?

Hope you can help.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BigFishLittleFish

Certainly can help here - first off, Pro Dive only charges by the 'person' rate and will find you a cabin mate if you wish. They (as in all dive boats) cannot confirm another female will share so if this is not acceptable to you, maybe a sole use cabin is the way to go - I do think they will charge you double (minus a small amt) but I have seen this done in the past.

As for certification - I myself, am an instructor so I push dive education until you want to scream...but at this stage you will be allowed to dive to 60 ft which is about all you can push it anyway, with most GBReef dives at 25-45 feet at the average anyway. There will be no wrecks etc so you dont need any specialty certifications, but you will have the opportunity to do two night dives. The night dives will be the only guided dives and they team you all up with a buddy and team leader (usually a dive master or above) / to have your Advanced Open Water cert is really advantageous here as you will be 'old hat' at this night diving. Not sure if you have ever done one before, so if you are concerned, you may wish to take the Advanced Open Water class while you are on Pro Dive(the easiest one PADI offers) and this way you will have an instructor with you on your first night dive.

If you choose to take a course, you will have to arrange around 1 hr to get a physical exam (I can lead you to a 24 hr clinic in Cairns)

If you are struggling and want someone to book this for you, email info@ozdive.com and they will look after it for you.

BFLF

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BigFishLittleFish

LadyJ9, double check with your phone operator that you can actually make international calls. Then if you're in the states (SLC = Salt Lake City??), it's 01161 + the number. So if Prodive was 07 4050 4050, you'd dial 01161740504050.

San francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BigFishLittleFish

Hi,

I too am considering a 3 day / 2 night trip with ProDive from Cairns, most likely departing Dec 10, 11 or 12, and would love some advice.

First question: is mid-december a good time to go? How are the currents, seas, clarity, jellyfish, etc? (my friend recently dove the Red Sea on a liveaboard, and was seasick the whole time due to wind, and nearly lost at sea on a dive due to strong currents, so i am a bit wary of that).

Second question: I have a PADI open water certification, received back in 2001, but have gone on only 2 openwater day trip dives since then - Monterey CA and Cozumel Mexico (i.e. not a lot of experience). I feel quite rusty on the rules (esp for safety stops). If I take this ProDive trip it sounds like I will be "on my own" in the water (with buddy of course) - but am I too inexperienced for this? If I sign up for an advanced open water cert course, will I be diving with a divemaster/instuctor on all dives?(I would much prefer that).

THanks for any advice you can provide!

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BigFishLittleFish

December is usually a lovely time to dive the reef area. Box jellies are typically shore hugging critters and not normally found as far out as Pro Dive will venture.

Currents, waves etc- when Mother Nature is angry, no time of the year is safe, but Dec is normally lovely. This is, however, the beginning of cyclone season in this area, so it will either be just great, or all heck will break loose.

As for diving alone with a buddy - unlike Mexico diving when you go in packs of cattle, this is diving with dignity - you are treated as an educated diver and it is time you use those skills. The areas you will be diving are covered in a thorough briefing, and then you and your buddy set your plan, log out and splash!

If you take the Adv OW course, you are required to do 5 dives. So of the 11ish you will be doing while on a Pro Dive trip, only 5 will be with an instructor. Deep, Night, Nav and 2 specialty dives (from rusty memory). So all others will be on your own with buddy.

Suggest you may get with a local dive shop for a bit of a refrehser in the pool if at all possibly, to hone up those skills before the big dip. Diving the reef is so great, and the nice thing is max depth is usually 65 feet or so, and you can go very short distances and still see so very much that it doesnt need to be marathon diving. In fact, you can stay in boat's range and still see all the corals and critters...

San francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BigFishLittleFish

Thanks for the advice. One more question - I noticed that you have recommended Mike Ball diving in other posts. Their 3 day dive trip costs more than twice ($1200-1700 AUD) what ProDive charges ($550 AUD). Is it worth it? I certainly dont want to skimp on safety or quality of equipment / dive sites, but I also dont want to throw money away...what do you think? What would I be getting for the extra $$?

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BigFishLittleFish

The dive operators that will take you on the 3 and 4 night live-aboard trip will give you the great diving along the Ribbon Reefs - Unbiased (well, ok, biased) opinion that this is some of the most diverse and beautiful diving in the world but is too far to cover this region in a 2 night trip. So given time and budget, Pro Dive is then, the next best thing.

Mike Ball Supersport, Spirit of Freedom, Taka will all do this route on a 3 night trip all leaving from Cairns. Yes, they are at least double the price, but in this dive game, you do get what you pay for.

Set aside all marketing these guys do, I have been diving the Ribbons for many years and still get butterflies each time. My favorite dive site is Pixie Pinnacle, but it is weather permitting and difficult to moor up if the winds are up - but wow, the marine life on this pinnacle is mind boggling.

YES, I think it is worth the extra money. If you think you have one shot, dive the best you can afford, even if you take the lowest price cabin sharing with snoring men, this is a great route to dive.