We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Weather at the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands

Hi,

I am coming to Australia on 25th December until 16th January.

I very much wanted to take sailing trip around the Whitsunday Islands but have now heard that the weather is very wet at this time of year the further north you go. Does this apply to the Whitsundays?

Is the same to be said of the GBR? I have heard that the waters are very murky and you can't really see anything!!!

Can anyone help me on this point??

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather at the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands

Mollymagoo - this is actually quite untrue. Dec/Jan/Feb, the cyclone or green season can bring some the the year's best dive conditions with glass like surface, bathtub warm water and bright tropical sunshine. You see, much of the rain will occur on land, and out the 2 or so hours to the Great Barrier Reef, it might be sunny and beautiful.

Water conditions/bad visibility may be effected if a storm is present, a full moon and tides are severe- these can actually happen any time during the year. Maybe the worst visibility issue can happen if the water gets too warm (El Nino) and the plankton bloom is heavy, but this occurs anywhere in the world during a summertime.

Otherwise, you may likely have some stunning diving / snorkeling on the GBReef and we are all green with envy!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather at the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands

hi mollymagoo

It may not be so wet but you can count on it being very hot at that time of the year

cheers

jeff

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather at the Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands

Go for it. IT is almost always BEAUTIFUL at the whitsundays. I love it there.

Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef