We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns and Port Douglas

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
947 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Cairns and Port Douglas

We're going to Port Douglas for 4 nights in mid November, then on to Cairns for 2 before flying to Sydney. Apart from one or two trips to the GBR (probably with Wavelength), is there anything anyone can recommend we should do? I've been on the skyrail to Kuranda and the train back so I don't think I want to necessarily do that again. In particular, what is there to do in Cairns? I think I read somewhere that there are really lovely botanical gardens there. Has anyone been?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns and Port Douglas

If you're going in November, I recommend spending a day driving around the Atherton Tablelands going to all the waterfalls and swimming holes. Also maybe take a day trip up to the rainforest around Cape Tribulation.

The Flecker Botanic Gardens are really lovely. There's a great rainforest boardwalk there and you could easily take along a packed lunch and enjoy it there. It's just north of the city centre (probably a bit long to walk - take the bus instead).

London/Brisbane
Level Contributor
152 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns and Port Douglas

I found this website very helpful on stuff to do in Northern Qld:

http://www.kissholiday.com/

Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef