We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barrier reef - where's the best snorkeling?

California
1 post
Save Topic
barrier reef - where's the best snorkeling?

We may be coming to the reef area in Nov. (is this a good time to come?) with our 10 yr. old daughter. Good snorkelers, not divers. Do people ever go on a boat for 3 to 7 days and snorkel from place to place sort of like in the Galapagos? A smaller boat with no more than 15 or 20 people? Or is staying on dirrerent islands the best thing? If so, which islands have the best snorkeling if we wnated to focus on that and where would one stay if we wanted to avoid big resort type places and stay at modest uncrowded places? Thanks a lot.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barrier reef - where's the best snorkeling?

November is a good time - it is hot in NQ but the seas are calm and the water warm - ideal for snorkelling. See my previous posting 'Cairns/PD/GBR Experiences' click on 'lockie'. Best reef i've seen is Agincourt out of Port D. Nov is not high season so crowds should be small so pick your day/s to go out the day before. Live-aboards are for divers and i doubt that they would be suitable but contact them and see if they take snorkellers and whether you would see much.

Consider Heron or Lady Elliot Islands as they are true coral cays and you can snokel from shore or can get a short boat ride out to really good reef. Check their websites for details.