We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

Which Townsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

has anyone tried the brazilian bbq restaurant chico rio yet? we did and contrary to some reviews I read it wasn't too bad. we decided to book an early seating (6.30pm) and the bbq meats were just starting to come out from the kitchen but as there was only 2 tables in the restaurant occupied at that time, the advertised 25 bbq meat selection was not on offer. more meat selection did come out later (about 8pm and more tables were occupied), but we had already finished dinner and were preparing to leave.

I know Chico Rio in Townsville is just starting out, however some front of house training would be beneficial to both the staff and customers. The staff were disorganised and generally appeared to be disinterested in the customer. We really had to work to drag information from the wait staff about the cuisine and recommendations on the available salads. The young male wait staff who roamed with the bbq meat were very personable but we did notice there was no system to how they visited tables to offer the meat. Once the restaurant began to fill up, you could see the lack of training left the staff wondering which table they should go to next. However, in all fairness each table was given a colour-coded marker which is used to indicate to the bbq meat waiters to come to the table and serve. We noticed that even though some tables had the colour-coded marker correctly positioned, they seemed to be overlooked by the wait staff and missed out on being served promptly. Other tables who had indicated via the colour-coded markers they did not wished to be served for the time being were still being visited by the wait staff.

The staff must have been told to push the cocktails to customers and weren't happy when we said we didn't want one. We did however ask for beer with a glass. the glass was dirty and the beer ended up flat.

$50 per head for all you can eat bbq brazilian style with a choice of 4 salads - our group enjoyed the meal and agreed with a little more staff training and customer focus this restaurant would be worth a second visit.

overall, the interior style is a little sterile and soul-less. some brazilian background music would've added ambience and allowed customer conversations freely without the whole restaurant being able to hear you.

try it out and see what you think. I understand they have salsa dancing sometime in the midweek but will need to wait until back in Townsville to enjoy that one!!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

While this is an interesting and comprehensive review, the forums are not really the place for reviews, not least because they get pushed down further and further as more posts come in.

You really should post this in the restaurant review section. If it is not listed, then when you type in the name of the restaurant and get a message like, "Sorry, we haven't heard of that restaurant, tell us more about it", click on "tell us more about it" and do so. Theoretically when TripAdvisor lists the restaurant they will notify you so you can then post your review, but practically this tends not to happen. So check back every few days until you find it listed, then cut and paste this review in and submit it.

:-)

Edited: 11:14 pm, January 11, 2014
Townsville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

I don't trust those dudes walking around with big knives. Makes me feel insecure. But the food is awesome. Value for money.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

The risotto was awesome but very insufficient, more like the size of an entrée or a side. It´s a shame to pay $30 for a risotto "main" and walk out of there hungry. So if you are a vegetarian/vegan with an appetite, and most of us are, maybe dont go there.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

Are you talking about the same restaurant? I could be wrong, but I didn't think risotto had much to do with South America. Why a vegan/vegetarian would go to a Brazilian BBQ (ie, meat, meat and more meat) is also a bit of mystery to me.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

There ware a few vegan dishes, you'd b surpised,they have a vegetarian and a seafood menu, the point is, the amount was insufficient. I had a friend's farewell that's why I went there, yes Chico Rio. So what would be an appropiate place for a vegan to go to,you reckon? A nice lawn to graze?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

No need to be sarcastic! As we both know, there are plenty of restaurants that serve vegan/vegetarian food. I just didn't expect Chico Rio to be one of them, so yes, I am surprised and stand corrected.

Townsville...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

Thank you All for the Feedback and Suggestions. As we are always striving to be our best in customer service, our food and menu so all your suggestions are invaluable.

Regarding the selection of meats every night we have about 10-12 items on the Grill. the meat selection is rotated so that it is a different experience every time you come in as we have built a following of regular diners.

I will certainly take up the training with the front of house staff and how they explain the menu to our guests.

we do play Brazilian music and have a huge selection that has actually been given to us by some of our Brazilian Guests - I am not sure why it wasn't playing when you were in, I will look into it.

with regards to our Vegetarian menu ( Vegan is on special request ) All of our sides are Vegetarian and what we recommend most guest do is have the sides along with the a la carte selection as the sides come out at the same time as everyone else's meal and the a la carte selection does take a bit longer as it is made to order while our meats are always ready on the Churrasco. The size of all the vegetarian mains is a standard main size but as mentioned we will increase the portion size on our risotto ( it is yummy and never enough) !!!!!

Do come in and try our new menu items of Wagu Beef, BBQ Octopus and Chicken Hearts and our chef is looking to introduce you to crocodile and kangaroo in a couple of months as well.

We Are a Meat based restaurant but do offer a select few items of Vegetarian and seafood items for the occasions when not all the guests on the table prefer meats. We also have a great selection of Tapas available from Sunday to Thursday that are a mix of meats, seafood and vegetarian.

Save Reply
8. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

A group of friends and me went to Chico Rio in Feb and we loved it. Food was great service was Meh but we didn't mind lol

9. Re: chico rio brazilian restaurant flinders st townsville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 24, 2015