We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Townsville- worth the visit?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Townsville- worth the visit?

My boyfriend & I will be driving from Port Douglas to Airlie Beach in May & have 9 nights for the journey. We plan to stay in Port Douglas for 3 nights which is a definite, then planned a night in Mission Beach, 2 nights in Townsville & 3 in Airlie Beach before we hand the at back & get the ferry across to Hamilton Island.

Neither of us have been to Australia before so we have simply guessed the best places to stop off at just by looking at a map & picking places that are evenly spaced out, but could anyone recommend any better stops from Port Douglas to Airlie Beach? Is there a lot to do & see in Townsville, or would it be better to distribute the nights at each place differently? If anyone has any recommendations on how to do the drive differently then that would be fantastic!

The only thing we have booked so far are the flights which we land in Cairns on the 22nd May, and fly out to Sydney from Hamilton Island on 3rd June so everything in between is sill in early planning stages!

Many thanks

Jane

Mentioned in this post
Port Douglas
Port Douglas
Queensland, Australia
Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach
Queensland, Australia
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
11. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:07 am, October 09, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,806 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

How many accounts/user names do you have Sarah P?

You don't think people notice the OP of a thread changing completely?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

KVE its a laugh when they use the same picture as well..!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

I especially like the bit where Jo knows to call Saztvl 'Sarah'. It's not mentioned anywhere in the post by Saztvl.

Isn't using multiple screen names against TA guidelines and considered inappropriate content?

Wondering how she knew her name?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

Townsville is definitely worth a visit. We visit once a year & I never get tried of it. There is heaps to do & see around the region too. Magnetic Island is a must do if visiting Townsville.

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

Eva, Saztvl/Sarah changed her screen name, when Jo posted, she was Sarah P. I think it's a coincidence the avatars are the same, they are generic.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

Oh, OK. Fair nuff.

I didn't know you could change your screen name. I once tried and was told by TA it couldn't be done.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
129 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

I'm pretty sure her name was listed as "Sarah P" when I made that post, even though it isn't now....

19. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:59 am, October 13, 2013
20. Re: Townsville- worth the visit?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:59 am, October 13, 2013