We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do I need to hire a car ?

Essex,England
Level Contributor
45 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
do I need to hire a car ?

We're coming to Townsville in early August for 4 day break, managed to get a deal to stay at Rydges hotel. Thinking that we'd want to see Magnetic Island, the aquarium and the Billabong Sanctuary. I'm debating about whether to hire a car. Is it necessary ? Could we rely on cabs to & from airport , and buses if they are available to visits other sites.Many thanks for any local knowledge.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Billabong Sanctuary
Billabong Sanctuary
800 Reviews
Townsville, Australia
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do I need to hire a car ?

Yep cabs are right out the front of airport, lined up or you can call on free phone. the bus service runs around regularly. If you did want a car you can hire from airport when you arrive, or there are pick up spots in town, depending who you hire through.

the strand is beautiful area to stay in. right on the beach. has a great water park.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do I need to hire a car ?

G'day JH,

From your hotel, Reef HQ is (a very leisurely 10 minute stroll) across the bridge and up the street.

You'll find the Museum of Tropical Queensland is next door to it. The museum has the Pandora shipwreck exhibition among other things (Pandora was the ship sent to hunt down Bligh's Bounty mutineers).

The Magnetic Island ferry terminal is another 5 minutes onward from there, (so under AU$10 in a cab from your hotel).

I really don't know of any regular bus options to Billabong Sanctuary though. It's about 20kms from the hotel (very easy to find if you self drive), but a cab there and back might be up around the $60 mark.

The Airport to your hotel will probably be around the $20-$25 range in a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Magnetic Island
Magnetic Island
Queensland, Australia
Billabong Sanctuary
Billabong Sanctuary
800 Reviews
Townsville, Australia
Essex,England
Level Contributor
45 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do I need to hire a car ?

Thanks for your advice. After a couple weeks in Sydney where I need a car, I just thought it might be good to take a break, also means I can go out and have a few beers.

Walking to town sites is no problem. Is there a bus from the airport to town that would be cheaper than a cab ?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do I need to hire a car ?

If you're travelling alone, you might save a couple of quid by taking airport shuttle.

http://www.townsvilleairport.com.au/other.php

5. Re: do I need to hire a car ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, October 24, 2009