We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Mom & College-age Son - trip this May - ideas?

Which Townsville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Single Mom & College-age Son - trip this May - ideas?

I'm taking advantage of the cheap fares from NYC (finally!) to pop over to Oz for 6 1/2 days for some bonding time with my son this May (arr Sydney Sun am, leave Sat midday). I was hoping to catch a day shuttle to Townsville since my grandfather was from there (he was a member of the Lowth family - yup, the old hotle, those Lowths!) but I can't find a way to go up there early (like 6 am) and leave late (like 10 pm). Looks like if we go, we'd have to stay over.

Any ideas how to squeeze in Townsville into such a short trip? Or leave it until whenever we come again (like when my son gets a job and pays for me!).

Thanks!

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Mom & College-age Son - trip this May - ideas?

Hi Mum,

May is the best time of year to visit Townsville, the weather is perfect, not too hot. It's a shame you don't have much time. You're right about flights, you CAN get (direct) to Townsville quite early with www.Jetstar.com.au departs Sydney 7.10am and takes 2 hours 45 minutes. The latest (direct) flight out of Townsville to Sydney is around lunchtime with www.virginblue.com.au

Your only practical option is to stay overnight.

Perhaps you'd like to mention your grandfather and your Townsville connection (as well as your desire to see the sights) in a letter to the local paper. At the very least it might drag some old associates out of the woodwork who knew Mr (was it Thomas?) Lowth.

townsvillebulletin.com.au/tools/letter_edito…

If you need any more help, let me know.

New York
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Mom & College-age Son - trip this May - ideas?

Thanks for your help - I think once we decide how much we want to do in Sydney, that'll determine if we have enough time to squeeze in Townsville. If not, next trip!

3. Re: Single Mom & College-age Son - trip this May - ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 21, 2009