We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Townsville

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in Townsville

Hi,

My Aussie hubby and I are planning a trip to Townsville for Christmas/New Years and are bringing along my Canadian parents who are requiring accommodation.

They prefer a self contained unit and I keep coming back to Quest Townsville as the place for them to stay.

Any feedback on this location as I want to make sure they have a nice place to stay for their first (and probably only) trip to OZ.

Cheers

Paula

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Townsville

I put my team into the Quest when they need to stay in TSV. It's close to the city centre, it's well run, the price is OK, it's clean and modern and the the best restaurants are real close. The downside? - a long walk to The Strand which is a nice area on the water.

TIP: pester the booking staff to get them a room as high as possible. The view starts to get good from around the 5th floor - and they'll catch more breeze in summer.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Thanks for the feedback Whiteman.

I think something along The Strand would be nice, but taking into consideration my mother's preference, I don't think there is anything along there that would suit her.

I was considering Aquarius on the Beach but have read negative feedback on the motel on this site and have decided it probably would be best if they stayed somewhere else.

The only thing I'm finding with the Quest is that it is kind of dear, but if its nice and clean and comfortable then its probably worth the money.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Have you considered mariners'north? or seagull's? We stayed at the quest for 9 weeks when immigrating here and it was a bit out of things, although nice. I wish the company had rather used one of the above mentioned.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Thanks Katsie, I did consider Seagull's but have heard its quite a distance from the city and the reviews on the Quest Townsville has been good.

I actually have accommodation booked at Mariner's North, for a 2 bedroom apartment, I booked it when we were all going to stay together, but we've decided to stay with my sister in law and now its just my parents and they want a 1 bedroom apartment. I have to cancel at Mariners North.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Perhaps Mariners North still have a one bedroom apartment . It is a great location. right on the beach with a magnificent view of maggie Island. Hope you enjoy the holiday.

Brisbane
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Hi,my husband and I stayed at the Aquarius on the Strand, and we found it appalling. It had been recommended by the flight centre. On the first night we asked to be put in another room because we were stuck on the smokers floor. Yuk, very smelly. Everything is fairly old, worn out and the rooms are hotel style (very small). I would never recommend it to anyone. Stay on Magnetic Island, and come and go whenever. Unfortunately you cannot view these rooms before you book. Personally I am never staying in Townsville again for longer than one night.

Brisbane
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Whatever you do, do not stay at the Aquarius on the Strand. My husband and I found it small (Hotel accom) dirty, well used (too well used) and we were placed on the smokers floor. This was recommended and arranged by the flight centre in Brisbane. After the first night we asked for another room. The only good thing going for this one is it wasn't on the smoking floor. Townsville (if we ever go back which i doubt) is definately an overnight stop maybe two nights at the most. Magnetic island looked a little better if you are that way inclined, and get the ferry back and forth.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in Townsville

Thanks for the feedback on Aquarius on the Strand. I had a chance to look at the reviews of this place and was not impressed. All feedback seemed to be negative.

My family is now booked into Anchorage Apartments in South Townsville. Hopefully, they will be comfortable and happy with this accommodation.

We'll find out on 21 Dec what they think!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in Townsville

I am getting rather nervous as I read these reviews of Townsville hotels. We are booked into the Quest starting on Dec27th. I hope to goodness it is OK. Comments welcome.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
652 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in Townsville

My family was originally booked for The Quest Townsville, but they wanted something more along the lines of an apartment/condo, so I found Anchorage Apartments (down the road from The Quest) for half the cost of Quest Townsville.

All reviews I've read on The Quest Townsville have been pretty positive, so I would think that it's one of the better places to stay.