We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

G'Day

Thanks to the great advice on this forum last year, I went to Noosa and absolutely loved everything about it: the guarded, easy to enter beach, the koalas just a short stroll away, the fun boat rides up the river, the many walking opportunities, and the markets at...I forget, but it was a short bus ride away and began with an "M."

This year, if I get the chance, I'd like to see more beaches in the same corridor, but want to figure out the differences ahead of time.

I also wonder which of the islands I've heard about - is it Magnetic or Hinchinbrook? - might be a good way to spend a few nights?

Last year I also spent time in Mission Beach (a little too young for me, and the beach too scary...I left a day early), Palm Cove (perfection) and Cairns (fine for a night as I like a shop).

This time I'm having trouble understanding the various Brisbane beach "areas" and their characteristics.

So this is a long way of asking: is Surfer's Paradise something I might like? Would you combine it with another destination such as Byron Bay, if I am arriving from Brisbane and driving this time?

Is there a beach town with a rural weekend market not too far away?

Sorry for the very broad question, but I want to do a lot of research on the right place and this was a great resource last time around.

Cheers!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

"So this is a long way of asking: is Surfer's Paradise something I might like? Would you combine it with another destination such as Byron Bay, if I am arriving from Brisbane and driving this time?"

If you loved Noosa, then Surfers may be a bit too busy and hectic for you. The market you are thinking of is Eumundi, known to be the best art and craft market around.

Surfers Paradise, think city beside the beach, highrise buidings, lots of people, Australia's No 1 holiday destination. Beautiful beaches.

1 hour drive to the south is beautiful Byron bay, a small town, bohemian in nature but now very touristy and expensive. Beautiful beaches.

"Is there a beach town with a rural weekend market not too far away?" Yes plenty of them everywhere.

I hope this helps. Just north of Noosa is Fraser Island, have you considered a visit?

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

Thanks for that information, surfoz- I do indeed remember it was your suggestion to try Noosa and you hit it dead on!

I loved the chance to see Eumundi.

Regarding Fraser: I had considered it, but it struck me as all-nature, whereas I thought - and could very well be totally wrong- that maybe those other islands had nature plus human life?

I appreciate the details on Surfer's and Byron Bay...size and shape of the beach-wise, are you able to draw a comparison between the actual beaches and Noosa? I am a fearful ocean swimmer and usually only duck in for the cool water and come back out, which was perfect at Noosa as the waves were little ripples, really, and at palm Cove as it was a very protected feeling bay.

Are there areas at Surfers for non-surfers?

Ta again for your time. It is much appreciated.

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

I also meant to add that I like a big city beach and will definitely try both Byron and Surfer's out, especially if they are so close to one another.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

Yes Fraser is all nature although there is a well accredited eco resort there.

Byron's Main Beach faces north as does Noosa's. Most of our ocean swell comes from the south east so the north facing beaches don't get the swells which generally means gentle waves in both places.

The Gold Coast beaches are much different as they face direct east however there is a similar place at Coolangatta, which is well worth a drive ( 25 mins from Surfers) and a look on your way to Byron bay.

If you stay at Surfers pick accomodation with good ocean views. worth the extra $.

Cheers

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

Thank you again.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

Hi Tealblue,

So glad to hear how much you enjoyed Noosa - it is one of our favourite places too. There is a misconception that it is overrun and very busy but I think those that believe that have visited at peak season only (xmas break) when the population swells from 10,000 to 50,000. We have been there at times when there are maybe 20 people on the beach.

We are also fans of Palm Cove so hopfeully can hekp you with other suggestions.

* Sunshine Coast - Mooloolaba. Also North facing and very safe & some good shopping & cafes.

* Gold Coast - as per Surfoz - Coolangatta/Rainbow Bay.

* Brisbane - Point Lookout on Nth Stradbroke Island - accessible by ferry from Cleveland,Brisbane & truly paradise. Several safe beaches, especially Cylinder. A perfect mix of beach/cafes/nature & not well known to mainstream tourists.

* Northern NSW - Yes, Byron ( although again you might find it pretty 'young') but still worth a visit. In between Gold Coast and Byron are small beach towns like Cabarita,Hastings Point and Pottsville which are all lovely and have rotating weekend markets.

Farmers Markets are everywhere now - you will find one close to anywhere you go, although Eumundi is still the biggest and the best.

ps. Yes, Magnetic Island is lovely and quiet unique.Very quiet. You may not find Townsville your cup of tea though. Other great spots up North would be Port Douglas and ,of course The Whitsundays.

Be mindful of your timing though due to 'Stinger Season' and Wet season in the tropics.

Hinchinbrook is stunning in terms of Nature, but there is pretty much nothing else there as it is a national park.

At Sea
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

I just wanted to belatedly thank you 40ish couple, for that comprehensive guide. i really don;t know how I could have become so sidetracked in June to forget that I had already started this post, and just now made a fresh post regarding Whitsundays...

I will use this as a guide and ta again, belatedly.

I hope that you didn't think of me as rude.

TBB

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

Hi There again TBB,

Thanks for your vote of thanks - you're very welcome.I certainly wouldnt have thought you rude - just similar to most people on here. I think they are often too excited about their upcoming trip to give us feedback.

If it's any consolation I read this thread just now and have virtually no recollection of posting back in June so you are not the only one with early Alziemers.

I hope you get the answers you seek !

9. Re: Can You Describe Other Beaches vs. Noosa and which islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 03, 2009