We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Auckland
9 posts
Save Topic
Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Dear All

We are 2 adults 2 children ( 13, 14yr old son and duaghter) soon travelling to GC, in mid April as we never been there, and excited for 5 x night trip.

We need your help planning our trip economically - and been trying to find things to do - ( of course ) there are heaps to do, on top of time spending time on beaches and National Parks and walks

We are not adventurous and happy with a little fee charge events, but it seems they are very expensive, and again, we are only for 5 x nights and annual passes etc are no good for us.

Wonder if someone can suggest accomodation /things to do -what theme park combination or which one theme park may possibly be desirable for us, a 5 x day itinireray for us please.

I checked and found Backpacker hostels do not take our children in there. So how would you suggest a reasonable basic accommodation plus one or two theme parks perhaps and how much is too much for accommodation etc and please propose us a 'draft' itinirary sort of for our 5 nights form 23rd to 27th April, and we set off for Brisbane to see a family friend on 28th April.

river cruise from GC to Bbne is it expensive? or train trip from GC to Bbn or so?

we need to come back to coolangatta airport back on 1st May to catch the plane, at 7 am, can we drive a car from Bbne and drop it off at airport - are they opened this time. Then we need driving from Bbne , leaving early like 3amish? what do you think suit us a better plan.

We thank you for your time in advance.

Candy

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Hi Candy,

Even though the annual passes don't really make much sense, they usually are better value than purchasing tickets for each of the theme parks individually (unless, perhaps, you were only planning to go to Wet 'n' Wild or something). It's always good to double-check individual ticket prices against the passes, and assuming you plan to go to at least 2 theme parks, the passes are usually the more cost-effective option.

The VIP Pass covers unlimited entry into Movieworld, Seaworld and Wet 'n' Wild. They're currently running a 'Buy 3, Get 1 Free' deal at the moment, which means a saving for you - https:/…combo-passes.aspx

Having said that, I love Dreamworld personally (see Dreamworld's website for details on tickets and passes), as they have the most major thrill rides. They do have other things too like animals, etc. Make sure to look at the theme park maps for each one, so, you get a good idea of what's around and can hopefully work out which one is better for you. I'm thinking the VIP Pass might be a better option, just because there's more variety included in that pass, BUT, I can't say that for sure.

What is your budget like for accommodation, or the top maximum you're willing to pay? A good website to look at is www.wotif.com/ You could look at apartments, which can usually be a good way to save money, as you can buy groceries and eat in. If you select '2 bedroom' under 'room type', you should be able get a list - Read up on reviews though.

If you are happy with driving, I think that's the best and most cost-effective option, including driving from the GC to Brisbane and back. Try and compare quotes around different car rental agencies like the major ones like Budget, Hertz, etc., and you could also look at others like Alpha Care Hire, etc. I think most car places will be open at 7AM, but always double-check.

When you arrive at GC Airport, make sure to head to the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle Bus counter, as they have some tourist brochures there. One booklet is a discount booklet which has coupons in there. While you might not be interested in some of the activities there, I still think it's good for a flick through.

I think it's good if you look at two theme parks (e.g. Movieworld and Seaworld), have some time at the beach, include a visit to the beachfront markets at night in Surfers Paradise (only on Wednesday and Friday - from 5:30PM), a visit to the national park (if you drive, it's more cost effective, or else you'll need to rely on tours, which could add up), could consider a visit to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary,

Some general activities could include putt putt golf, Timezone, etc. Don't go on the rides at Adrenalin Park in Surfers Paradise - Last time, one ride I went on was $30 per person, which is rather expensive in comparison to the theme parks.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Getting from GC to Brisbane - you need to get the train or drive. Its a 75 min drive at least if there is no traffic.

Try caravan parks and stay in cabins. They often do deals for more than a few nights stay if you are out of Australian school holidays.

Try wotif.com.au

It depends on how basic you like your accom. Australia is expensive to travel, but you can find a few cheaper apartments. There are literally hundreds and hundreds to chose from on GC. You can pay lower end of scale $150 per night up for 4 of you that would be the lower end of the scale.

Auckland
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Thank you all, Trip Advisor rocks, amazing, we were so pleased with the tips and advice and we enjoyed the trip soo much!

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

That's great to hear!

Where did you end up staying?

Auckland
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Riverside hotel in SP, they were certainly great. Location/cleanliness/customer service, you name it everything! Enjoyed to bits!. CAn't wait for another holiday :)

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

Nothing better than a holiday that goes well! :)

7. Re: Help PLS to plan our FIRST GC Family Holiday for 5 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 10, 2014