We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

Mumbai
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

Hi,

I live in Sydney and new to the country.Can you please let me know which is a better way to go to Gold Coast.

I have seen some flight + hotel packages where flight is costing me A$236 pp or should we drive through as I havent seen much in Australia yet.

I saw its a 10-11 hrs drive. I am sure it might cost me much lesser and we shall be able to get some scenic views.

However, I am unsure if its going to be gruelling drive and cost me as much as the flight and hiring a car in Surfers Paradise.

I intend to travel from 25th Dec to 2nd Jan

Any advise is appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

i wouldn't be driving the pacific hwy between those dates.

traffic will be really heavy and acommo hard to find.

and doing the trip in one go if u r not used to extended driving is dangerous.

in any case to get the best out of the trip u need to do detours and loops ie. take a few days.

i would be flying.

there could be a bargain fare for 25th dec departure. not many travel on that day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

I agree with lien. Particulalry at the that time of the year it is best to fly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

Any other time than the height of the Christmas/New Year season, I would say take a few days and drive. It's a good way to see something of the country and there are many lovely detours and places to stay along the way.

However, depending on how "new to the country" you are, you may not realize that, apart from Christmas Day, when most people are already at their Christmas destination; that's when a very large number of people are on the road, rushing to or from their holiday destinations.

Many of them are inexperienced or unpracticed in driving on highways, having spent most of their time driving in bumper-to-bumper urban traffic.

Some drivers decide this will be the ideal time to try something new, like towing a caravan or driving a campervan/motor home. Add the stress of last minute packing & late departures to a deadline to be at the destination by Christmas Eve/Christmas Day; toss in a few lunatics & the occasional drunk and ..... the road toll at that time of year tells the tale.

Much more relaxing and I would think at the very least break-even if not cheaper on costs, fly into Surfers & rent a little car when you get there. Then you have a few days to do day trips before hopping on the flight to come home, feeling happy that you're not joining the "car park" of the Pacific Highway when everyone is trying to get back to work.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

Thank you so much!! I think its a straight decision for me now.

5. Re: Sydney to Gold Coast- Better travel option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 02, 2013