We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Level Contributor
83 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

In February, 2013, my wife and I are coming to Australia for a 3-week vacation. Part of that time will be spent in and around Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. What is the norm relative to tipping? Do we tip or not? If so, how much? If so, under what circumstances and for what service? In the USA where we live, tipping is rampant and spreading. Even people who cut hair now expect a tip. When my wife has her hair done, it costs about $150 plus a tip. Wow!!! It really adds up. What is all this like in Australia and particularly, in and around Surfers Paradise?

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

no need to tip....anywhere.

please don't!!!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Is there any reason you are posting this same question in every forum available. Australia is Australia. Tipping is tipping. You have already been clearly and succinctly advised you don't tip in Australia. Doing so changes the tax obligations of the already well paid staff.

Any more repeated posts are going to be reported for duplication and bordering on spamming.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

The only time you would EVER consider tipping in Australia is if you have had absolutely outstanding service and would like to reward that person. Otherwise no, you do not need to tip anyone.

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

There's really no need to tip, although, I have seen an increasing amount of tip jars/containers at restaurants/cafes now. They are optional as well, so, don't feel you must tip, if you really don't wish to do so. Sometimes, if I get some change back, I might put it in, but, it's really not necessary.

For great service, that's where you might wish to do so, but, once again, it's up to your discretion.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not recommended. Unlike the US, where the hourly rate is as low as $4/hr in service jobs, Australians get paid very well for their service jobs and tipping is not a consideration.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Interesting - we do generally tip here. Not in pubs or RSL clubs, but in restaurants and 'nicer' cafes IF WE GET GOOD SERVICE. We would tip up to 10%, but not usually any more than that, and most often would be around 5%. A lot of the wait staff are students, and there is often a system whereby tips are put in a communal 'jar' and then divided up at the end of the night between all the workers at that restaurant ie service staff, kitchen staff, bar staff, etc. As others have said, there is no obligation to tip here, but if you feel the service was good, and you can afford it, no harm in throwing in an extra couple of dollars for a tip. Most people we go out to dinner with would also tip, as would both my daughters (21 & 24).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,148 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

this post is ancient, let it die