We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon destination help

staffs
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
honeymoon destination help

hi there,

hoping someone maybe able to help us.

we are set to travel to Australia January 2013 for our honeymoon. Our final destination is to be decided, we have a flight booked into brisbane but 6 nights at the moment with nothing planned.

We are after somewhere with nice beaches to sunbathe on as we want to relax for the last part of our break. By evening some nice resturants and relaxing bars for us to take a romantic stroll to close by.

We looked at surfers however the nice beach box gets the tick but i think its going to be a bit to much hussle and bussle and too many fast food places rather then small different resturants.

We will not be renting a car so need somewhere we can get to by public transport from Brisbane Airport.

Any help appreciated!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon destination help

I'll start by suggesting our home town of Noosa as it fits the description of your needs.

I also suggest you investigate Mooloolaba (also on the Sunshine Coast), Broadbeach or Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast and Byron Bay.

Move around a bit.

You can get to all these places by shuttle.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon destination help

Great suggestions by foxylynne. I'd stay away from Surfers, nothing romantic about that. If you have your heart set on the Gold Coast, look further south of Surfers, the beaches are much nicer and more relaxed. Burleigh has some lovely, mostly casual restaurants.

The easiest access is via train to/from the airport, then a taxi to your hotel or you could look into shuttles.

staffs
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon destination help

Hi there,

Thank you very much for replying.

A lot of people have suggested noosa but I was a little concerned it would be too difficult for us to get to from

Brisbane airport?

Is it a small town?

If we did stay there what would you reccomend to be near to?

Thanks again

staffs
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon destination help

Hi sianta

Thanks for your advice, the only reason we thought of the gold coast area is as we are stuck with flying into Brisbane and I ideally wanted to visit Steve Irwins zoo.

A few people suggested Fracer Island but there doesn't see to be much there? And Morteton island? Both beautiful but I think lack the restaurants etc.

Think we want a less built up feel in more of a little community.

australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon destination help

Fly to Brisbane than get a connecting flight to Hamilton Island. It has sailing and beautful beaches. Than fly back to brisbane and take a drive to Noosa (1.5 hours north) or Yamba (2 hours south).

Fly Jetstar Brisbane to Hamilton Island should be around $160 Return. Trust me Hamilton island is beautiful and the sailing that can be done around there is absolutely gorgeous. Oprah went there so it has to be good haha

australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon destination help

I come from Noosa and it is worth a few days for sure. Just get bus from Brisbane it is easy. We are pretty modern here in Australia so dont stress it will all work out

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon destination help

May I simply suggest that in January, Hamilton Island is going to be way too hot and it is in the rainy/cyclone season.

There is a shuttle bus directly from Brisbane Airport to Noosa. It runs every 30 minutes or so. There are loads of restaurants in Noosa and surrounds. There are great beaches and the National park is within easy walking distance. Take some surfing lessons. Hire a motor scooter for a day and explore.

There is a free bus service to Australia Zoo from Noosa.

Hire a car for the day and explore the hinterland or the southern beaches. Go to Noosa or Mooloolaba Yatch Club and sign up to crew on a sail boat. Take a BBQ boat and cruise around Noosa river for a couple of hours, cook a BBQ, drink some wine, swim. (No licence required.) Have the Gondola guy cruise you around the river at sunset for a little romance. Stroll hand in hand along the river at sunset and be deafened by the lorikeets. Have an early evening on the deck of the Noosa Surf Club and enjoy the view then take off your shoes and stroll down the beach to Bistro C for dinner on the edge of the beach.

Noosa will definately give you the feel of a little community.

...or go to Byron and do almost the same but with more hippies. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon destination help

Another vote for Noosa; it has a lovely beach, excellent restaurants & cafés with the added bonus of having a beautiful National park at its finger tips.

staffs
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon destination help

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your comments, really useful and comical!( hippies! )

We looked at Byron bay, noosa, mooLooaba and burleigh heads we like all of them I like a nice stroll which gives you a view if the coast and Byron has a lovely light house on photos I've seen.

Going to go back to the agent with these today and see what accommodation he suggests then weigh it all up.

If we stayed in burleigh heads or Byron are we too far away for the zoo?

Also a few have suggested its rain season the further north you go towards cairns in January? Will noosa and moolooaba be the same?

But then on the same hand we have been told its rain season in surfers too so were confused!

Loved all the suggestions of things to do in noosa, I'm guessing there are lots of nice restaurants along the sea front?

If the accommodation was over looking or close to the sea are you too far away to walk to the river? And vise versa?

Getting excited now!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
364 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon destination help

Although Noosa borders the Coral Sea, we are in a low probability cyclone zone.....same with Mooloolaba. Byron is an even lower probability cyclone recipient. Having said that, all three areas can be subject to cyclones.... and bad weather has been "in our stars" for at least the past 2 years.

(BTW Cairns is a looooong way from Noosa, 1600km by road).

At Noosa there are a couple of restaurants that are directly beachside, there are a couple of restaurants which sit over the river. To my knowledge there are none of those at Byron (Please correct me other TAers).

If you stay beachside at Noosa, you could walk to the river if keen or you could take the ferry part or all of the way to your destination......and vice versa. (Bus too and taxi.)

By all means talk to your agent, but also consider the suggestions found here on Tripadvisor.

At any of your shortlisted destinations, leave your fancy clothes at home. We are decidedly casual and laid back...(although take your bangles, beads, braids and bells to Byron. Same for your new wife.)

From Byron or Burleigh to Australia Zoo? I probably wouldn't bother. There are other places where you can experience Australiana.

Have I answered all your questions?