We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

A bunch of friends and I will be heading to Surfers (from Melbourne) for 5 days in July.

Ages 25-30

Night Spots

Any suggestions of night spots?

What's Waxy's like? A friend is having her 30th there.

Theme Parks

Would a combination for Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild offer up enough thrills and spills? Will probably only get to visit two there parks at most. If it were just one which of all the theme parks should it be?

Bicycle Hire

Any spots right in Surfers that do bike hire or any good suggestions?

Looking more for a casual ride bike rather than anything serious.

Have had a look on google and there's just a mess of stuff that comes up.

General Weather? I keep seeing that it's cold :/ eep

Any other suggestions of things to do?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Oh and maybe a place for those 4 in the morning drunken grease missions :)

Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Unfortunately, I can't really help with the nightlife side of things. There are some places open 24 hours like McDonalds, Charlie's, etc. There should be some take-away/fast food places near the Esplanade that open late. You can check out reviews for cafes/restaurants/etc. on sites like UrbanSpoon: urbanspoon.com/n/350/40018/Queensland/Surfer…

With the theme parks though, I would actually put in a vote for Dreamworld instead because it has a lot more thrill rides, and I assume your group would enjoy it more. I really like the Superman ride in Movieworld, but, there simply isn't as many thrill rides there. If you go to Dreamworld, they have White Water World next door, if you plan to buy a combo pass. I recommend taking a look at the theme park maps for each of the theme parks (available on their websites), so, you get a good idea of what to expect in each one.

Unfortunately, if you decide to buy the VIP pass (the one available now won't be applicable for your trip, as it is only valid until June): http://myfun.com.au/big3/VIP-pass.aspx Dreamworld isn't included (it's only Movieworld, Seaworld and Wet 'n' Wild) as they are run by a separate company.

I don't think weather-wise, the SP will be as cold as in Melbourne, Canberra, etc. However, I would still bring some long-sleeve shirts or jackets, but, I doubt you'd need to be rugged up like as if you were going to the snow (unless, you're quite sensitive to the cold)!

For bike hire, you can consider contacting Paradise Road Cycles: paradiseroadcycles.com/bike-hire-australia.h… as they offer bike hire. You will need to book with them in advance, and they can drop the bike off at your accommodation. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what their rates are like, sorry. There are other companies around as well.

Good luck with your planning and have a GREAT time on the Gold Coast! :)

Edited: 2:34 am, April 15, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Thanks for all the help!

Australia
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Nightlife...

Waxys is an Irish pub. It's ur typical pub good joint to throw back the beers.

What type

Of nightlife r u after and I might be able to help.

In terms of the late night feeds there are plenty of places in cavil ave which is the main st in surfers. U won't miss them

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
476 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

Hi

Cocktails and Dreams nightclub seems to be popular check out the link. Mentions a few other clubs as well

wickedclubcrawl.com.au/cocktails_and_dreams_…

I agree with Dreamworld as well for thrill rides and White water world next door.

Cavill avenue is the main area for nightspots, hopefully your accommodation is central to that.

Edited: 1:20 am, April 27, 2012
6. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:13 pm, May 15, 2012
7. Re: July visit - Night spots, theme parks and more...suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:43 pm, June 19, 2013