We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

Hi,

A bunch of us (uni students) are relocating to Rocky from Brisbane in a month. We need to do the drive as quickly as possible in one day in order to arrive on time (mid-afternoon rather than evening- we're leaving early!) and would appreciate advice on where to stop on the way. Our current plan is Gympie then Gin Gin, but we want to make another stop between Gin Gin and Rockhampton for some of the less-experienced drivers. Essentially we're aiming not to come too far off the highway so as to minimise travelling time as much as possible.We were thinking Benaraby, Calliope or Mount Larcom and I wondered if anyone has any advice (on any of all of this plan). Specifically, the availability of public toilets and service stations (+/- bakeries or coffeeshops) would be much appreciated. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Rockhampton
Rockhampton
Queensland, Australia
18 replies to this topic
Greenmount...
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

There's an awesome little coffee shop at Miriam Vale - good location considering it's in the middle of nowhere! I personally prefer to stop at Childers over Gin Gin, but that's just me. As for the Matilda roadhouses, the food is still good - just don't use the fuel.

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
580 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

The Guide to Qld Roads has information about rest stops.

…qld.gov.au/Travel-and-transport/Maps-and-gu…

As said previously, have plenty of stops, especially if you're not used to driving long distances. As well as places to eat, there are lots of places to stop for a break and to change drivers, such as Granite Creek between Gin Gin and Miriam Vale. There are toilets there and sometimes a driver reviver station in the school holidays.

Childers is a pretty town. You can get great pies at Gin Gin and also at the Raglan pub. Tiaro has good clean toilets in the park and a fantastic butcher. Be careful crossing the road there.

Take it easy and be patient. There's a lot of idiots out there and a lot of road work going on.

Allow yourself more time than you think you need. It's better to get there early than to feel like you have to rush at the other end.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

the op was travelling in january 2012

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

Thinking of driving Bris to R/Hampton - google maps show drive time as about 6 and half hours - is that roughly correct with easy driving?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

Depending on traffic, weather and road conditions - maybe. I wouldn't want to be counting on that time frame if you were in a hurry or time constricted. Better to allow another hour just in case

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

Well roadworks can easily add an extra three hours to the trip. One way to avoid this is to go up on a Sunday.

Jen

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

I just realised I did the google check from Mooloolaba to Rocky not Bris -Rocky

Mentioned in this post
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?

This is an old post. its better to start a new one regarding your questions.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Reply to: Brisbane to Rocky drive - where to stop?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted