We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas

Melbourne
5 posts
Save Topic
Port Douglas

Thanks for the great advice.

Just someone mentioned that "you'll love the R Bettle" & got a little worried...thinking they're dangerous...

Yeah, anything re PD, things to do, where to eat..staying at the Port Douglas Retreat...go a great deal there...anynews on that??

Do mossies come into the rooms of accommdation places??

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas

The Retreat is a great location, being only a 2 minute walk into the town centre and cetrally located between the Marina and the Beach.

I haven't seen the apartments but I believe they are smallish but very clean. The pool is great not grand but spacious with enough room around it to lay out and relax. Good managers who will help out with everything you need to know.

The rooms have air cons. So mossies at night should not be a problem, just close the doors, if concerned buy some mossie coils or other mossie deterrants from the supermarket and place them near you at any time, and that should do the trick.

There is so much to do in Port and much will depend on your interest, age braket and budget.

The places most visited are the Reef, the Rainforest and Skyrail/Kuranda.

Heaps of operators that go there, and if looking at going let me know for suggestions.

Depending on budget, there is, white water rafting, hot air ballooning, horse riding, sailing, heli flights, scenic plane flights, sea kayaking, a wildlife park, to name a very few..

The village is very bike friendly, so a bike is the way to go, you can ride the length of 4 Mile Beach but don't be tempted to drop your bikes and have a dip in the ocean, as it is stinger season, so the advice there is ONLY swim in the nets.

There is also a company in town that rents scooters for half a day or full day, a great way to explore the area.

Plenty of car hire companies, if you also like the idea of self exploring.

Restaurants are also a plenty of, to suit lots of budgets.

Nautilus, La Cucina, The Living Room, Watergate , La Marina, all have had great feeback, perhaps on the slightly more expensive side.

Salsa Bar N Grill, a fav.

2 Fish and On the Inlet for seafood.

And many in between price range. Mango jam, Michealangelo's, The Mexican ( huge portions there).

Even as an Australian, I would suggest a night at the Ironbar for the toad races, get there at around 7.00 pm, first show very family friendly, second show, adults one ( haven't had the chance to see the adults one yet, but I've been told it's great fun).

Lower price range, visit the Combined Club, good reasonably priced meals and if can get there one afternoon at around 3.30 pm, enjoy a drink and watch all the boats come in after their day on the reef, you'll appreciate our little Paradise, the view is the best.

Sunday markets, worth a visit, follow it by a lazy afternoon at the Courthouse Hotel, straight across the road, or lunch at Salsa.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info on anything.

2. Re: Port Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 18, 2009